Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #11 
JKfish

that sounds good, though I'd use this as a general guide to check to see how close to overstocked you are. http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?
it is much better at calculating how stocked a tank is than the 1 inch per gallon.

oh, and you might not want to do ADFs. They are weak swimmers, and anything much deeper than 10 gallons really isn't advised for them.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #12 
Lunatatice

yep, I checked that calculator, and it says I'm only 69% stocked, but adding the gravel and the fact I didn't fill it up all the way for fear of jumping fishes (my hood brroke) , I'm guessing I'm probably around 75% stocked. I plan to do 1/4 water changes once a week.
Don't worry I'm not worried about the ADFs not being to reach the surface because I've owned them before and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I just have to make sure they get enough food (Ill probably hand feed them) and that I cover the filter intake with pantyhose or something because I have a power filter and my first ADF died because it got stuck in the intake...:( RIP Rocky!
EDIT: BTW thanks so much DragonFish about the info on gouramis! I'll be sure to remember that when buying my gouramis.

Last edited by Lunatatice; 10-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #13 
Lunatatice

My new and improved plan: (after doing a lot of expirementing on the stocking calculator and adding the actual measurements of my tank, which it said was actually a 45 g..?)
5 Black Skirt Tetras
5 Kuhli Loaches
5 Zebra Danios
1 Male Dwarf/Honey Sunset Gourami
3 Female Honey Sunset Gouramis
4 Ghost Shrimp (I just decided to throw these in here because they are good clean up crew-i know they don't eat algae, but for leftover food- and they are fun to watch)
3 African Dwarf Frogs
3 Otocinclus
1 Swordtail (I decided to just stick to one male because I read you can just keep one and I can't have one male and three females without overstocking)
With this I will be 82% stocked, with 112% aquarium filtration capacity, which is pretty good. I'm still going to do the 25% water changes each week, although the calculator suggested 23%..(what's the difference? -.-)..
Thanks for the comments! ^.^'
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #14 
DragonFish

Haha, your welcome xD Besides bettas, I absolutely ADORE Grouamis....I've done a lot of research into them and have kept most types ;)

Your stocking plan sounds good xD I can't wait to see pictures!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #15 
Lunatatice

Thanks! Can't wait to get my fishes! (The darn tank has to finish cycling first....I'm so impatient! ^^;)
Old 10-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #16 
Posaune

Sounds like you'll have a great tank :) I love the bigger tanks, so much room to decorate and make a really nice looking community.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote