Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #1 
IvoryCrayon

Unhappy Trouble staying afloat.

Hello. I have a male betta a little over a year old that seems to be having trouble staying afloat. He sort of sinks I guess you could say and he's been quite lethargic.

I have had to treat him for fin rot once before and he responded well, I might treat him again because his fins have been looking a little see through at the bottoms..

His tank is a 10 gallon heated to about 75-77 with a filter. He's been eating fine as far as I can tell and still moves around some.

I was just wondering if there was a particular disease I'm not thinking of that might explain the sinking? Or possible fin rot has struck him again and he's just feeling sick.

It worries me because I had another betta before him that also had trouble staying afloat but that was near the end of his third year so I attributed it to his age and just lowered the tank water which made things easier for him, and a few month later he passed away. [he was always in good health]
IvoryCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #2 
karlhague

Sounds Like Swimbladder Disorder to me..

Is he constipated at all?

How much are you feeding him, what kind of food and how oftnen?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #3 
Adastra

Yeah, probably swim bladder disorder due to bloating caused by constipation and low temperatures. If your heater is adjustable, try turning it up slowly, one degree every couple of hours until the temperature is at 80 degrees--this should help boost his metabolism and speed up his recovery. If he seems bloated right now, I would stop feeding him until his bloating goes down or until you see him poop.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #4 
IvoryCrayon

I thought swimmers bladder made them float to the surface? I may be wrong...probably lol.

Well his heater isn't changeable but I may still have another that is and I will try that out right away.

I feed him pellets once a day about 5-6 . But he doesn't seem to be bloated though.

Is any medication needed in treating swimmers bladder?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Swim bladder symptom can range from sinking, floating, side-ways swimming, surface skimming-problems swimming to the top or to the bottom etc..... They may or may not be bloated-it depends on why/what- the underline cause-be it water quality, genetic related, disease, injury etc......

How much and how often are your water changes and when was the last one
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #6 
IvoryCrayon

Ok, good to know.
I did a water change 2-3 days ago about 40% ish change[pulled out the decor and rinsed them and vacuumed the gravel also changed filter insert]. But before that it was more of adding water when it evaporated which it does rather quickly so I have to add water at least once a week[I do a full cleaning every once in a while]. I was going to do one tonight or tomorrow[due to his condition] depending on when I am able. [always condition the new water and make it the same temp before putting it in]

So if I continue a more frequented water change with slightly warmer heater he should improve?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like water quality related problem and/or sudden nitrate/pH shift-I would start daily water changes and since you just did a large water change the nitrate is most likely low, however, I would check this and not change a high nitrate too fast-small percent daily for several days to start and work up to 50% daily for a couple of day then 50% weekly thereafter to maintain water quality.

I would not change the water temp too fast if at all-in an already compromised fish you can cause other health issues-I would keep it in the 76-77F range until he start to improve and then max at 80F
Old 10-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #8 
IvoryCrayon

Ok thank you so much for the help. I'll do just as you said. ^.^
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Good luck and keep us updated

If he seems to start to get worse after a couple of daily water changes- you may want to QT and do an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes for 7-10 days-this can help relieve the pressure on the swimbladder
Forgot to add-cover the top of the Qt with plastic veggie wrap to get the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

I like to pre-mix the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal (not aquarium salt) in a 1gal jug to make water changes and dosage easier.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-11-2010 at 06:28 PM.