Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #1 
ColinMcNeil

Introducing female betta to tank with male Platties?

Hey guys, so I have a female betta just hanging out on her own in a bowl. Not a very exciting life. I'm hoping to put her in my 3.5 gallon tank that currently houses 3 male platy.

How good/bad of an idea is this?
ColinMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #2 
CrazedHoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMcNeil View Post
Hey guys, so I have a female betta just hanging out on her own in a bowl. Not a very exciting life. I'm hoping to put her in my 3.5 gallon tank that currently houses 3 male platy.

How good/bad of an idea is this?
VERY bad idea. In a 3.5 gallon all you could put would be the female Betta. Platies require 10 gallons or larger, also since they're live bearers, they have a good size bio load that will easily cause problems in a 3.5 gallons. Also, Bettas should not be kept in bowls! They require heating, thermometer, and at least a 2.5 gallon tank. Filtration is also highly recommended, but not necessary. You should do more research on the fish you have and upgrade to a 10 gallon, only then can you house all of them together.
CrazedHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #3 
CrazedHoosier

And how come you say that your Betta is in a 3 gallon tank that's filtered and heated on your other thread, but on this thread you say she's in a bowl? Did you go out and buy Platies, and take the Betta out of the 3.5 and put the Platies in?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #4 
ColinMcNeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedHoosier View Post
And how come you say that your Betta is in a 3 gallon tank that's filtered and heated on your other thread, but on this thread you say she's in a bowl? Did you go out and buy Platies, and take the Betta out of the 3.5 and put the Platies in?
You got it. I moved her out of the tank because I saw all these stress lines,a and she looked sick. I wanted to medicate her/ give her some aquarium salt.

However, I had this cool tank sitting there doing nothing, and the guys at my LPS (who have a very good reputation) told me three platy would be OK for my tank.

I know nothing should live in a bowl, but it was my only alternative. This fish was thrust upon me, I had literally nothing when I rescued her and have, in the last week and a half, done a huge amount of research and spent a good deal of money. I'm doing my best here.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #5 
CrazedHoosier

I would highly suggest that you take the Platies back (I can't make you though and I'm not trying). Platies are very active and will probably not last long in a 3.5 gallon (especially males). Usually all pet store workers (including the manager) don't know what they're talking about when it comes to fish. Also, you could have easily treated your Betta in the 3.5. In a bowl she's more prone to stress and sickness because of high ammonia, and the fact that all they'll do is eat, sleep and poop. Most employees will say anything to make a quick buck because they get paid extra if they make a big sale. Someone at Petco once said that it was fine to have 2 Goldfish, 1 fancy, 1 commet, in a 1 gallon fish bowl (this is like the worst ever myth that was ever created). The Goldfish died in a matter of days. As a beginner, you're going to make mistakes (heaven knows I did!), the important thing is that you learn from them, and move on to a higher quality life for the fish!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 AM   #6 
ColinMcNeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedHoosier View Post
I would highly suggest that you take the Platies back (I can't make you though and I'm not trying). Platies are very active and will probably not last long in a 3.5 gallon (especially males). Usually all pet store workers (including the manager) don't know what they're talking about when it comes to fish. Also, you could have easily treated your Betta in the 3.5. In a bowl she's more prone to stress and sickness because of high ammonia, and the fact that all they'll do is eat, sleep and poop. Most employees will say anything to make a quick buck because they get paid extra if they make a big sale. Someone at Petco once said that it was fine to have 2 Goldfish, 1 fancy, 1 commet, in a 1 gallon fish bowl (this is like the worst ever myth that was ever created). The Goldfish died in a matter of days. As a beginner, you're going to make mistakes (heaven knows I did!), the important thing is that you learn from them, and move on to a higher quality life for the fish!
I researched this pet store as one of the best in the city (it's not a big box store, but an independent) so I'm disappointing to hear all aquarium shops have such a bad rep. I'll be totally honest with you - the platties are not going back. But point taken on the betta, I will have to purchase another tank for her to live in. I was changing the bowl water every day, and made the sure the temp was OK, but I know it's still not a good situation. The tank seemed a little big to pour a bunch of medicine in and do daily water changes, and the bowl was just more reasonable.

Tomorrow, I will go and get another tank for her. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I just never thought I'd be in so deep (no pun intended) when I decided to save this fish.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #7 
Mr B

Why not buy a 2nd hand 10-15 gallon tank from Gumtree or the american equivalent? For the platys and keep the female betta in the 3 gallon.

My 5g betta tank cost me 55 new, yet my 20g sorority tank cost me 40 with filter, heater and gravel.

I have 4 platys, 4 guppies and some white clouds in a 15g and you really see them come to life.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #8 
CrazedHoosier

+1 Mr B
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #9 
ColinMcNeil

Update: I did end up introducing the female betta into the tank, and so far all has gone wel. They've been together for 3 days now and everyone seems pretty calm and cool.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #10 
CrazedHoosier

Good luck.