Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #1 
Bumbanut

Smile One Question

Hey people! Before I ask any questions, I want to tell you that I own a beautiful veiltail male betta (Looks almost exactly like this one) named Jimmy, and plan on upgrading his fishbowl to a fully-equipped 2.5 gallon tank with many accessories (Filter, light, decorations, etc.) I have recently trained it to jump out of the water by baiting it, and now he will even jump if i don't have any food on my finger. He is also making a bubblenest on one side of the fishbowl and seems to be pretty happy. I have had him for over 2 weeks now (Got him on September 26th, 2010.)

My question is:
Is it good/bad to train him to jump out of the water when I don't have food on my finger? My dad said that if I do that he won't eat anymore. It sounded ridiculous, but I want to make sure whether it's good or bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who want to know what I'm buying for him, here is the list including the items, prices, and links to all items:

Tank $49.99
Fish Net $1.69
Digital Thermometer $3.99
Water Conditioner $3.99
Dark Blue Gravel $6.99
Tiki House Small $9.99
Green Boxwood $9.99

The total of all items (With Tax): CAD $97.89
The amount I have saved up: CAD $10.00
Bumbanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #2 
ashleyy

I suppose it's only bad if he falls out. Always make sure you have something to cover the bowl that is vented.

and you're going to spend 49.99 for a 2.5 gallon tank???? they have 5 gallons at wal-mart that come with a filter, hood and light for 28.00 bucks.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #3 
ashleyy

Yeh I would notttttt spend that much on that tank. Seriously. They have cheaper ones that look the same at walmart. the Brand is called Aqua Culture, it's what I'm going to get for a present :D
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #4 
Bumbanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyy View Post
I suppose it's only bad if he falls out. Always make sure you have something to cover the bowl that is vented.
And you're going to spend 49.99 for a 2.5 gallon tank???? they have 5 gallons at wal-mart that come with a filter, hood and light for 28.00 bucks.
Well the problem is that I need a 2.5 Gallon tank with THOSE EXACT dimensions and that EXACT model and company (Because I'm just like that). After all, I have to put it on a small shelf. I was planning on getting that exact one because it is glass, with a filter, light, and it looks perfect for my room in the place I want it. I will get bigger fish tanks and fish when I get a better computer table. For now I will stick to this one UNLESS I can find the exact same tank for cheaper. And even if I do, I could still go to Big Al's to buy it because they will beat the lowest price by %5. If not, then I'll get it at some other location. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #5 
JKfish

You're missing a heater. Heaters are necessary for bettas, seeing as they are tropical fish. Try to get a good one (like this http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368) that is NOT preset at any one temperature, seeing as the preset ones are sometimes known to malfunction. For a water conditioner/dechlorinator, I would recommend Prime (also from sechem), it is a bit expensive, but you only need 2 drops per gallon, so it is very economical. For your bogwood, make sure the plants on them do not rip your betta's fins. I would run pantyhose over them, if they catch and or rip, don't use that decoration. You can buy regular old thermometers from walmart for 1-2 dollars, and they are very accurate.

If you are short on cash, get the tank, and the heater first and possibly the thermometer. They are the most important. I know they are expensive, but they definately play the most into your bettas health.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #6 
Bumbanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
You're missing a heater. Heaters are necessary for bettas, seeing as they are tropical fish. Try to get a good one (like this http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368) that is NOT preset at any one temperature, seeing as the preset ones are sometimes known to malfunction. For a water conditioner/dechlorinator, I would recommend Prime (also from sechem), it is a bit expensive, but you only need 2 drops per gallon, so it is very economical. For your bogwood, make sure the plants on them do not rip your betta's fins. I would run pantyhose over them, if they catch and or rip, don't use that decoration. You can buy regular old thermometers from walmart for 1-2 dollars, and they are very accurate.

If you are short on cash, get the tank, and the heater first and possibly the thermometer. They are the most important. I know they are expensive, but they definately play the most into your bettas health.
The temperature at my house is always around 76F and I use water that is room temperature. Do I still need a heater to heat up to the same temperature as it already is? I was also just searching around and found a better deal on many things on my list. Here is my updated list:

Starter Kit $29.99
Fish Net $1.69
Digital Thermometer $3.99
Water Conditioner $3.99
Dark Blue Gravel $6.99
Tropical House $9.99

The total of all items (With Tax): CAD $64.00
The amount I have saved up: CAD $10.00
Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #7 
JKfish

At night and during winter, it is possible for the temperature to fluctuate or go down some. It is generally a good idea, but if you're certain your house stays within a degree or so of 76*F all year round day and night, then you won't need one.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #8 
Bumbanut

Oh, another 2 questions has just popped in my head.
I was just taking pictures of Jimmy, and when I put him back, he was still on the bottom of the bowl. It has nothing to do with the camera, he does it sometimes. My 2 questions are:

1. Why does he sit still sometimes?
2. How do you know if a betta is sleeping or not?

Thanks in advance!