Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #1 
LadyDrakul

Smile Food....

I was just wondering what type of foods u could feed your betta... Not like pellets or flakes... Stuff like bloodworms.. Just wondering..
LadyDrakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

I'm starting up a guppy tank so I can feed them guppy fry.

I feed mine frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp from time to time, but that's about it over here.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #3 
TharBePirates

Wardly pellets, bloodworms, small bits of chicken and turkey.

The boys get two pellets twice a day, Ariel gets one twice a day crushed as they're too big for her very petite mouth.

Bloodworms are sort of a special treat. They usually get them if they've had to be corralled out of their tank for a water change or photo op. Ariel's gotten quite a few since she came home because she was so skinny and tiny in her dirty little Petco cup. They've helped her put on weight and she's getting less now.

There's debate on whether or not you can give them meat like chicken or turkey (I've heard yes and no) but everyone LOVES it as a once a week special treat and I swear it's helping Jeffery get downright monsterous in size and finnage. Also they all turn into sharks when we break out the chicken or turkey. We get charging, latching on and thrashing, playing with food, and I've been bitten once lol.

Gyarados doesn't tend to eat all of his food, so the ghost shrimp eat up his leftovers.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #4 
Adastra

Hmm. I'm going to have to say that I'm on the "No" side of the poultry debate--bettas really aren't adapted to digest meat from birds and mammals--this is why you don't see these items as ingredients in pellets, flakes, and wafers, even though they are fairly cheap compared to common ingredients like salmon and shrimp. Seafood is a much healthier treat.

Personally, I feed mine frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and frozen daphnia--I've given up on freeze-dried completely since it's just not as high quality nutritionally and the risk of bloating and constipation makes it not worth the trouble. Occasionally I'll pick up some live blackworms when I'm feeling particularly strong in the stomach department (they're kinda gross >_>). I alternate between OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets and New Life Spectrum as a staple food, though.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #5 
sunnymui

I share a freezer, so I'm not allowed to keep frozen foods (currently, but I'm looking into getting a mini frridge/freezer). So I've been feeding my betta:
- Tetra delica brine shrimp (brine shrimp in jelly) (my last betta loved these, my current one doesn't - prefers flakes)
- Sayuri betta pellets
- Tetra betta flakes

I've also been quite lucky as we get a lot of seafood at home, so I've been feeding my betta little tiny bits of cooked mussels, cockles, shrimp and fish.
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote