Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #11 
tankman12

Ya IME that has never happened in 7 years. Im not saying it doesnt happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #12 
hrutan

I got some nasty hair algae due to leaving the lights on too long. I reduced the timer on the lights to 9 hours, threw away the two most affected plants (I tried to manually remove the algae and it shredded them), dosed with excel once, and by sheer coincidence had a ramshorn snail hatch-out at the same time. There's a couple of odd strands of algae here and there, but the worst of it is gone.

I've moved to dosing excel once a week.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The issue with Excel is that once you use it, it alters your water chemistry by adding that co2. Either you keep up with it and dose it daily/every other day or you don't dose at all. If you only dose every now and then you are altering your water chemistry and making it less stable.

CO2 overdose causes a severe drop in O2 (this is seen naturally occuring in catfish farmers when at night, the plants in the pond no longer produce O2, the CO2 ends up suffocating the catfish and by morning every single fish is belly up.) the way to combat that is to use more aeration, catfish farmers use paddle devices to stir up the water at night so they always have enough O2. This isn't seen as much in the aquaria because, yes it does take a lot of CO2 to do that but at the same time, it depends on your pH level. If you have a lower pH level, you are more at risk of killing your fish with a CO2 overdose.

Anyway, I agree SAE's are good for hairalgae, my Golden Dwarf Barbs have been making a short job of it in my tank as well :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #14 
tankman12

Oh i forgot, american flagfish. I got 3 females and they destroyed it, they can be mean though. But they eat it better than anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #15 
hrutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
The issue with Excel is that once you use it, it alters your water chemistry by adding that co2. Either you keep up with it and dose it daily/every other day or you don't dose at all. If you only dose every now and then you are altering your water chemistry and making it less stable.

CO2 overdose causes a severe drop in O2 (this is seen naturally occuring in catfish farmers when at night, the plants in the pond no longer produce O2, the CO2 ends up suffocating the catfish and by morning every single fish is belly up.) the way to combat that is to use more aeration, catfish farmers use paddle devices to stir up the water at night so they always have enough O2. This isn't seen as much in the aquaria because, yes it does take a lot of CO2 to do that but at the same time, it depends on your pH level. If you have a lower pH level, you are more at risk of killing your fish with a CO2 overdose.

Anyway, I agree SAE's are good for hairalgae, my Golden Dwarf Barbs have been making a short job of it in my tank as well :)
Interesting. The package directions say to only use it once to twice a week...
Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
Interesting. The package directions say to only use it once to twice a week...
Ah, you are using Flourish Comprehsive then, not Flourish Excel :) that's a whole different story. Comprehensive is the liquid fertilizer and Excel is the carbon dioxide supplement.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #17 
Tony2632

Amano shrimp are the best hair algae eating shrimp from my experience. I also have SAE in my planted tank for black beard algae, which I rarely get. Also correct me if I'm wrong, starving a black molly will cause it to feast on algae. I never experience the molly method, it's from what I hear. From my experience with hair algae, I used to get a lot of it in my planted tank. I used to run my lights for 12 plus hours. I reduce my lighting to 8 hours a day + Amano shrimp and I never got it again. I never used a excel method on hair algae, I find it pointless. I rather use Amano shrimp. Plus I find them more interesting to watch.
Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #18 
Tirianixie

Thumbs up

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!
I am planning on getting more plants and mossballs, and doing twice a week algae removal by hand. I don't fertilize, and there is direct sunlight, though not much, I keep the light on 9 hours a day, which I am cutting back on. I don't think I will do the flourish Excel, (It sounds scarily complicated) but I have been looking into Amano shrimp.
Thanks again!
Tirianixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #19 
hrutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Ah, you are using Flourish Comprehsive then, not Flourish Excel :) that's a whole different story. Comprehensive is the liquid fertilizer and Excel is the carbon dioxide supplement.
Ha, okay. It must've been the simple light change that did the deed, then, combined with snails. Those little dudes are so hard working!

Hair algae is so ugly. Good luck, Tirianixie!