Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #1 
CatherineMPLS

A very sad day

I moved into a bigger office (but now have no windows) a few weeks ago and decided to get a betta as my new office buddy.

Purchased a 5 gallon tank, several live plants, heater, and some fun rocks with hidey holes for my new friend. After having the tank set up for a week or so, I finally purchased my betta. A BEAUTIFUL half moon betta, blueish-green in color with red fins.

Had him at home over the weekend, and instantly, he was active and became especially lively when I was sitting by him and/or feeding him. Brought him to work Monday (yesterday) and introduced him to his new home. He seemed to enjoy being able to swim in the larger space and through the plants.

Just got back from lunch today to find him missing....

Then, I saw one little red fin dangling from the filter. Apparently, the tank I purchased was missing some parts allowing him to get sucked up in the impeller!! SOOOOO SAD! I couldn't bare the thought of having to remove him, so a co-worker helped me out.

Called Petsmart (where I bought the tank) letting them know the tank's filter was missing parts... they said there's nothing they can do. I then emailed the manufacturer of the tank, and they responded quickly and are sending a whole new filter.

I am super bummed out about my fish dying. I was still in the process of naming him :( and was really enjoying watching him swim around and "attack" the bloodworms during feedings.

Ugh, I can't belive I didn't realize a part was missing earlier... a mistake I hope no one else has to go through.

That's all.... I just had to share my story of the awesome fish that had way too short of a life because of my oversight.
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #2 
Alex09

:o

The filter was missing the thingy you put on the inflow tube? Or what kind of filter was it?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #3 
celine18

i'm so sorry, that's a terrible thing to come back from lunch and find
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 
nochoramet

Oh no! :( I'm so sorry! That's horrible... I'm glad the manufacturer is helping you out
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #5 
Adastra

How terrible.. perhaps you should use the time between now and when you get a new fish for the tank to cycle it fishlessly. Cycling a tank without the fish would a lot easier and more plausible to do at a place like an office where you don't want to spend a lot of extra time doing daily partial water changes and frequent tests.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

I'M SO SORRY! =[
That's AWFUL! ='[

It was missing the little part at the end that looks like a tiny cage that goes on the end of the tube that's in the tank wasn't it? =[

I'm so sorry about your loss and I hope the new filter isn't missing the intake guard. =[

Are you doing an NPT? (Natural Planted Tank) or are you doing a cyced tank? Id so like adastra says cycling it fishlessly would be a great thing to do while you're waiting for the new filter to arrive. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #7 
CatherineMPLS

Thanks for the condolences.

I didn't realize how sad I would still be, even though I only had him for a few days...

On the brighter side
I read up a little on fishless cycling - great idea! It seems much better for the fish's long-term health.
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote