Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #1 
Lauren85

Hiding at the bottom of the tank.

My new fish that I have had about for a week now has been hiding at the bottom of the tank that i've actually started looking on the floor for him ( I do have a cover on the top) and eventually he comes out ..
from somwhere
. I do have a cover that goes on the bottom with holes that collects food and whatnot but it is not small enough for him. I'm thinking he is hiding under the heater since its floating on an angle,he is still eating and swimming around,he looks healthy but im wondering why is he hiding. I have done 2 tank changes since i've got him. Thanks!

Lauren
Lauren85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #2 
eclover09

Do you have plants or hiding places in your tank? He may just feel a bit insecure in his new home, some Betta's take to there new tanks quickly while others are unsure for a couple of weeks. If you don't have plants try getting some tall ones that give a bit of cover near the middle/top of the tank, so he may feel safer swimming up and not so exposed. I used to have a Betta in a tank with low level plants and my Betta would never budge from the bottom, but once I bought some taller plants he started swimming around more towards the top.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #3 
Lauren85

Now that I think about it, I did leave his plant out this time! Whew! Thanks for the help. I was worried he may be sick.
Lauren85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #4 
Adastra

How large is the container? Is it filtered? How often do you change the water and how much do you change at a time? Do you know the temperature of the water?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #5 
sunnymui

Might be because he's bored. I change the interior of the tank once a week, but before I do that, my fish gets bored and hangs out at the bottom of his tank!
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

He might be sick. You can't rule that out just yet. =/

If you rarely see him it can't be great.

Not to rain on anyone's party. =[ I just wanna make sure the little guy is alright.

I'd answer Adastra's questions and listen to their advice. Adastra's really experienced and knowledgeable.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote