Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 
Posaune

Okey Dokey

Alright, so, I have these pond snails that hitched a ride on some floating plants I got. Now, they seem to be going above the water line for some reason. Is that something snails just do sometimes? I know nothing about snails at all. I just did a water change also.

Any insight on the behavoir of pond snails? It's not a huge deal to me if they bite the dust, but I'd like to know what's up :P

Also, it seems my tank is being algaefied with brown algae :P Any change a 10 gallon tank divided into 2 could house some sort of algae eating fish? Or would that just be too much? Maybe snails would work best? (And if that's the case, I'll need to get some info on snail keeping in general)

Thanks to anyone that helps me out.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Yes, it is normal for pond snail to go to the top and out of the water-they need to get a breath of air

In new set-up it is normal to have diatom and will go away once the tank matures (2-3 months) until then it is easy to wipe off and remove with a water change, also-old light bulbs can cause diatoms, use of the blackwater extracts, IAL, oak leaf due to the tannins-still harmless, easy to remove..... just looks ugly

Snail will take care of some of it-snail are pretty easy to care for-avoid use of any copper products and algaecides-mass deaths can cause the tank to crash.

Over population can be problematic and easy to take care of with limited food source, trapping and removal manually (destroy and throw away do not release)

You are correct in thinking that a divided 10g tank is not suited for any algae eating fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #3 
Posaune

Thank you very much :) So I'll just let the snails be then.

So, is the diatom the same as diatoms in the ocean? I've always just figured "oh, there's some gunk in the tank, must be algae" lol.
I just remember playing a magic school bus game when I was a kid where I had to put together a diatom puzzle, and plankton, and etc. :P
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #4 
Capricorn

I believe they are, though obviously your tank would have a freshwater species. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote