betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

Your not being a pest.....

Yes, lower the water temp slow over a couple of hours
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #22 
matty68

I think he looks just a little bit better today. He seems to be moving around quite a bit more. I am still a little puzzled on one thing, so, just one more question.

If this is columnaris, what is with the lump with raised scales on his head that is still the same? It's not like a sore...just a lump. Kinda like we would look if we took a concusion right in the middle of our forehead. And the deformed lips....they are still about twice the size of normal. These were the very first signs that something was wrong. I still don't think I've nailed it down totally yet.
matty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

It could be a parasite, tumor (not cancer) or it could be an injury...hard to say.....it was most likely the underline cause of the secondary problem you have now.

Injury/parasite-stress, lowered immune response-secondary infection.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #24 
Adastra

These things can be so difficult to watch--I've only had two personal experiences where fish have had very sudden changes to the appearance of their heads, and in both cases the fish died extremely quickly after presenting symptoms. It's definitely wise to keep dosing the JFE as per the instructions. Early termination of antibiotics can have serious consequences--to learn more about how antibiotics work and the risks involved, I suggest reading this article when you have time: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa084

I agree with OFL that this new infection is likely a secondary infection that was presented with a very grand opportunity once you stopped treatment with the antibiotic. Some bacteria become highly active around 80 degrees or so, so keeping the temperature lower, around 76 degrees, can be extremely helpful in some cases. If he continues to improve up to the end of the antibiotic treatment, it may be helpful to dose the water with methylene blue in order to discourage a secondary infection or parasite infestation during his recovery.

Epsom salt baths may help with the swelling on his face and the popeye, but if he is very ill, you might just want to add a smaller amount to the water he's in rather than do bath treatments. Make sure to examine the packaging for any warnings against using that medication with sulfates or sulfa drugs like Epsom salt, which is magnesium sulfate. I have no idea what caused the swelling in the face, and without palpating the lump (which no one but a veterinary professional should do) we don't know if it's some kind of abscess or blister or some kind of hard tissue growth--it's very hard to say what might have caused it.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #25 
matty68

I had a feeling that was the answer. And that probably spells doom for him. Simply because, if it is a tumor, it's affecting him badly. Not just the resulting disease, but worse still, it is somehow deforming his lips. The couple of times he has tried to eat, he has had a very hard time getting the food in his mouth. I guess he could starve, if nothing else does him in first. Very sad and frustrating.
matty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #26 
Adastra

If he stops eating completely and continues to show no sign of improvement over the next few days, you should consider euthanasia.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #27 
small fry

With the deformed, swollen lips and loss of appitite it sounds like mouthrot to me. One of the fish in my 10 gallon tank caught that and it spread to almost all the others. My swordtail that had it the worst went several days without eating after I started medicating it. I used Jungle Fugus Clear from my local wal mart and finally got rid of the mouthrot. Also, if you use a medication you might want to get one that specificly mentions mouthrot (I've heard mouthrot is actually a bacterial infection). Hope this helps!

===============-
10gal GatorSwamp
10gal CichlidRock
1.5gal Buried Treasure
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote