betta fish

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #41 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol, Bloo!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #42 
PeiMai

Ok another strange job I had briefly...I was the easter bunny at the local mall.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was a weekend house manager for a battered women's shelter once. I had a woman there with 3 kids. The 8 year old girl cooked their dinner and I had to chase a 3 year old round to keep him from trying to go outside. We had locks on the doors but he knew how to unlock them. He kept asking why he couldn't go outside. I was trying to figure out what to say to him when he said "is it because of my daddy?" That is heartbreaking. I ended up quitting because they promised me all kinds of stuff like training me and they never followed through on it.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #44 
kaythenewbie

Wow, Dramaqueen. That is horribly sad. I am trying not to cry . I donate to a women's shelter cuz I had a friend that stayed there for a while. Breaks my heart. I could never work there though. I'd be bawling all the time. Good job making a difference though. The world needs more compassionate hearts like yours.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #45 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaythenewbie View Post
Wow, Dramaqueen. That is horribly sad. I am trying not to cry . I donate to a women's shelter cuz I had a friend that stayed there for a while. Breaks my heart. I could never work there though. I'd be bawling all the time. Good job making a difference though. The world needs more compassionate hearts like yours.
I hate to be the jerk here but....my mother dragged me to a womens shelter when I was a kid. She wanted them to 'talk to me' and find out what was wrong. Funny thing is, it was her beating me that was what was wrong and when I told them they sat there and argued with me about it. 'It couldn't possibly be my mother kicking the crap out of me.' Yeah well it was and I will never donate a cent to any of those places. Sorry to hear about your experiences. I'm sure there are hundreds of other heartbreaking stories unfortunately that was my experience with them all though I'm sure that they do do wonderful things for people, just not me.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #46 
kaythenewbie

I'm so sorry for your experience, Peimei. Unfortunantly, abuse can (and does) come from anyone. It's tragic that case workers who should have known better were too biased to realize the true problem. Just because physical abusers are generally male, doesn't mean that they all are. There are also a lot of other forms of abuse that can be just as harmful too.

Overall, I think that women's shelters do help battered women and children greatly. My friend may not have lived much longer if her mother didn't escape with her and her sister when she did. And I will gladly continue to donate to them and encourage others to do so as well.

I don't donate money (I'm pretty much broke anyways). I donate clothes that I don't wear anymore. The women in these shelters leave their homes with nothing, so I figure if I can at least give them a change of clothing, I am helping.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #47 
dramaqueen
Banned

I too am sorry about your experience, PeiMai. It's kind of like my experience with the Red Cross. Back in 1970 (the old days, lol) my dad, who was in the Marine Corp,found out that we were getting transferred to Germany. He went a few months before us. So here was my mom, with 3 little kids and we miss our flight. She only had $25 on her, not expecting this to happen, of course. We couldn't get another flight until the next day so we had to stay in a motel and my mom had to have money to feed 3 little kids. She went to the Red Cross for help. The guy was so rude to her and acted like it was coming out of his own pocket! He said it was all my dad's fault. What a jerk! When we got to Germany, my parents paid the money back. We have never supported the Red Cross since.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #48 
bloo97

So sad!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #49 
loppy656

Wow, that is sad.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #50 
bloo97

My future job:

Can you guess? (Possibly Again)

Lol I may as well make it my avatar. :P

Last edited by bloo97; 10-22-2010 at 07:05 AM.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote