Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 
albo01

what's this?

I know this is poor forum ettiquette, but I'm going to jump in and ask this question...

I have to start by saying this isn't my Betta. I am a part time receptionist who has been left with the job of trying to look after this fish because no one else will. I know nothing about Bettas! And I just don't have time at work to try to research this properly.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what this bubbly stuff is on the top of his water? and whether I should clean his tank out or get him some treatment or leave it?

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Photo0025.jpg

TIA.
albo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #2 
Capricorn

That's a bubble nest. (: It's just a territorial thing, male bettas and occasionally females make them. There's nothing wrong with it, and don't feel bad breaking it when you change the water.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 
albo01

thank you so much! It's so frustrating, we have this beautiful fish on our reception desk because it was cheaper than buying fresh flowers all the time. That was seriously all the thought they put into it! The poor little thing... I've tried to give him away to a loving home but no one will take him :(. He certainly doesn't get the care he deserves here.
albo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #4 
Adastra

Poor thing, I'm a part time receptionist myself and was once faced with the very same issue--oddly enough, it made me fall in love with the species. It is a terrible pity that they're used in this way, because they are such intelligent and vibrant creatures when they are housed and treated properly. If you don't mind me asking, where, generally, are you located? We might be able to direct you to some local resources for rehoming the poor man.

Would you be willing to help take care of him if we gave you the advice to do so? In that case, if you could list everything you have to work with, including the size and type of container he's in now, whether it's heated or not, and water additives you have, and anything else you can think of, it would help us give you the best advice possible for dealing with your situation.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #5 
Waterbottle2

Thats a bubble nest! Nothing to worry about you have a pretty fish =)
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote