Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #291 
Waldobubbles3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy View Post
Yea there is a lot of turth to this but there is also not. I've been there collecting bettas not a yr ago and 85% of the bettas we got came from streams less then 1 ft deep and a ft wide at any point in the stream it would drop in depth to less then a inch and there would be more betta albimarginata. and falx in this lower level water then in the deeper water. I went with a Thialand breeder who found almost all his wilds in small small watering holes left by rain over flowing streams. Yes there are alot of miss consaption oout there that they live in larger rice patties but most are found in water less then a foot deep. I'd say 85% to 70% of all we collocted was in very small water puddles.
I believe this is because they are beached there. They use their jumping skills to hop from stream to stream, and they got stuck in one smaller stream they use to hop to the larger body of water.
Waldobubbles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #292 
Poleren

I keep my betta with 3 other platies in a 10 gallon tank, they do make for a nice looking tank.
Poleren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #293 
IIbettaII

Yes they do. That doesn't mean the like it.
IIbettaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #294 
slimestone

This has been a really interesting thread to read through! Although I feel like the first post definitely needs to be updated, with working links to sources.

Now I feel like my 6L tank may not be enough for my fish - though for a long time he seemed to do very well in it (although I don't know very much about fighting fish behaviour and can't be sure)!

It's kind of silly, though, to compare wild and domestic counterparts of animals. Wolves (I'm not so sure about other wild dogs) and lions go through "starvation" periods in the wild where they are unable to bring down prey, and this is normal. In fact, some zoos try to emulate this by not feeding their (wild) animals some days. However, in terms of our companion dogs and cats, it is unthinkable that we would starve them one day of every seven. So, to say that for half a year a fighting fish would normally live in less than 30cm of water, therefore the same should be done in a household tank is a little ridiculous.

Just because something is done a certain way in the wild, does not mean it is the best way.
slimestone is offline   Reply With Quote