Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #11 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum! Good for you and your friend for researching more about your bettas!

Well, I'm sure you already know this, but after you get a bigger tank, a heater should be your next priority. In small tanks (1-3 or 4 gallons), Tetra pre-set submersible heaters work pretty well. They are cheaper than a lot of other heaters. Around $11 at Walmart.

Cheap solutions for decor: Clay pots at Walmart (sold for 99 cents), and buy your plants from craft stores rather than pet stores...they are A LOT cheaper! Just make sure the plants you are buying aren't perfumed, and don't have sparkles and the like on them...also, if you get flowers, make sure the dye doesn't bleed into the water.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #12 
JKfish

Clay pots are good, but if they have a drain hole in the bottom of them, make sure to plug it up. Many members have lost their fish because the bettas got stuck in the little drain hole and couldn't get out :/

For heaters, I personaly don't recommend pre-set heaters. I know they are cheaper, but they also are more dangerous safety wise. Marineland Visi-Therm heaters (50 watts) for ten gallons are very good quality, but are a bit expensive. However, if you save up for it, it will be well worth it, because those heaters are garunteeded to last a lifetime. If it ever breaks, you call the company, and they'll replace it for you.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #13 
elijahfeathers

Okay so about plastic tubs, because someone suggested that... I've actually got a 10 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck sitting in my house storing legos. It's not clear, and is dark green and pretty old... But would it be safe if I washed it out really well with hot water? If I could fins a way to safely section it off do you think I could keep both fish in there?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #14 
Euphie101

I think it should be okay, if you wash it out well enough. If you built a divider (since DIY ones are better than the store bought ones) then you should be able to keep both bettas in that one tub.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #15 
fishman12

72 degrees isn't good enough. It should be 78-81 degrees.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #16 
elijahfeathers

@fishman12 - While 72 degrees might not be 'good enough' for you, it's the best I an do at the moment, and neither of my fish are lethargic. From what I read anywhere between 70-80 is generally good as long as it doesn't change much? I'm not for sure, but it's what I gathered. I don't mind advice, but if you read my post and the thread, you'd know these fish are gifts and I'm a bit strapped for money. A heater is one of my first priorities at the moment.

I don't know if you meant it to, but your post comes off a bit rude.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #17 
fishman12

Sorry Elijah, I didn't mean it to be rude. I should have worded it differently.
It really stinks when you live far away from a pet store. For me, the nearest petsmart is 20 miles away. Anyway, a lamp is not the best, but it will work. A hot water bottle placed by the tank will increase the temperature.
Again, sorry.

Edit- If they aren't lethargic then it should be okay.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #18 
JKfish

Technically, the heat your fish are supposed to be at is 76-80 degrees, but what you have them at is alright for the time being so long as there are no sudden temp changes.

The plastic bin would be fine, hot water does the trick for cleaning. Here's a good link on how to make a DIY tank divider :D http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....iding+tutorial . You won't need aquarium sealant, but it is recommended to help keep the divider in place and to keep it from slipping. But, if you're careful and you test your divider to make sure it won't fall or bend before you put your fish in, they'll be fine. Just make sure there aren't any possible ways for them to squeeze under or jump over it :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #19 
elijahfeathers

It's okay-- and I'm actually using a small space heater that I normally kick on in winter to keep my room nice and toasty (cause let's face it, no one likes to be cold in the morning lol). As long as I don't open the door much, kicking it on for about an hour keeps the room real warm.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #20 
Jupiter

Using some vinegar with warm water is a great way to clean the rubbermaid tub.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote