Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Exclamation Betta can't eat?

Okay so my betta Scuito has been having a hard time eating for a while now. At first he just couldn't eat the whole pellets so I started giving him flakes. But yesterday I noticed how gross it was making his water (lot more algae than when he was getting pellets) so I started splitting the pellets in half. Today I noticed he was having a hard time eating the bigger pellets.

It just looks like they don't fit in his mouth and if they do he can't swallow them, the stay right in sight (you can watch him try to swallow them & they never move).
I'm worried about him because he looks significantly smaller than he was over the beginning of the summer (this started probably 2 or 3 months ago). He looks skinny for a fish. He used to be the big one out of my VT boys & now he's the smallest.

Any thoughts?
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #2 
Colibri

Maybe he has some parasites. It sometimes happens if you give live food. Those bugs would be eating all the nutrients that your betta needs, leaving him starving.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Maybe he has some parasites. It sometimes happens if you give live food. Those bugs would be eating all the nutrients that your betta needs, leaving him starving.
I never feed live foods though. The closest thing I give him is frozen worms...would those make it hard for him to eat?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #4 
effy

do you soak the pellets? That might make it easier for him to eat. I soak my pellets before I feed them to my Bettas, if you don't they are more at risk at getting bloated
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by effy View Post
do you soak the pellets? That might make it easier for him to eat. I soak my pellets before I feed them to my Bettas, if you don't they are more at risk at getting bloated
I'll try that tonight.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #6 
sunnymui

Quote:
Originally Posted by effy View Post
Soaking definitely helps. I soak mine in some water with bits of garlic, and then 'fish out' the pellet to feed the betta. It seems to encourage mine to eat the pellets, and apparently is good for them internally (I think).
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymui View Post
Soaking definitely helps. I soak mine in some water with bits of garlic, and then 'fish out' the pellet to feed the betta. It seems to encourage mine to eat the pellets, and apparently is good for them internally (I think).

Yes Garlic is well known to Build up the immune system Which then makes them less likely to get internal parasites.

Also with the original persons Frozen bloodworms.

These need Defrosting before feeding, but are awesome foods for Betta's
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote