Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #1 
six

Stubborn fin rot

Hi, relatively inexperienced fish owner, new poster. I've seen some really good advice on here so thought I'd try.

I have a 10 gallon tank, currently with a betta and a clown pleco. It's in an office, and I put a lamp over it to heat it, so temperature varies from about 69 degrees in the morning after cooling all night to 74 degrees by the end of the day. Entirely freshwater, one filter. I make water changes with a vacuum/siphon about once a week, sometimes once every two weeks (my schedule is irregular and so are the water changes) and try to get as much nastiness out of the pebbles when I do.

My betta developed fin rot way back before I even knew what it was and it took me a while to wise up. He went a good while before I even started treating him for it.

I tried Maracyn (7-day treatment) first with no success (first with the carbon filter in and second with it out) and am now trying Melaflix, carbon filter in first and now with it out. I am about four days into the current Melaflix treatment and am still not seeing any results. My bottle is about to run out and I'm wondering if it's worth buying more.

It's very possible I'm doing something wrong, I've never used any medication for fish before now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Six
six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome six...
Your biggest problem here is the water temp and poor water quality-fix those and you can usually prevent these problems....not to mention the pleco that is too big for a 10g tank
Your in kinda bad position with the tank at the office-you really need a heater and get that water temp stable at least 76-78F for both species of fish as well as increase those water changes to at least 50% weekly if not more with the pleco.
If you can take the Betta home and start a 100% daily water change on him with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days and maybe re-home the pleco

Sometimes clean water at the right temp is all that is needed to fix a fin/health problem-a quick fix with medication is not going to do much good until you fix the environment......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #3 
six

Thanks! I wondered if the temperature might be an issue... I will go out and buy a water heater soon. And really 50% water changes shouldn't be so hard. I am still pretty new to this fish thing...

I know this is a betta board but since you brought up the point...

How big of an issue is the pleco? When I bought him the store employee said a 10 gal tank would be perfectly fine, and he doesn't move around much at all. Is it more a problem for the waste he generates? I have noticed he is a pretty dirty fish. If I can keep the temperature right and the waste down with more frequent and greater volume changes, will he still be comfortable? I worry about him because I don't see him very often.

Sorry if I'm getting off track, I have a lot of questions. You guys are great though, I really appreciate the help.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Not a problem six we are here to help......

The clown pleco gets about 5-6 inches and the smallest tank size is best at 20g- with 30g being even better, he is hiding all the time because it is cold as well as poor water quality and small tank-as you found out these guys can really be poop machines...lol......the large amounts of waste along with too small of space and cold water-equals an unhappy fish that only survives and not thrives-good that you do have the driftwood to help his digestion. Or get a bigger tank-will your office allow a bigger tank...that is always fun.....lol.....

Shop employees rarely give good advice-

I seen in another post that you also have some tetras that you just added.

I would re-home the pleco and get more tetra to increase the school-add the heater and increase the water changes-swap out the tetras in the 5g with the Betta for a while and get his fin rot cleared up

Any live plants in the tanks
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #5 
six

No live plants in the tank-- I have one fake one in the bottom. Up top I have a little bamboo thing that holds some fake floaters and real spider plant clippings. I have tried live plants in the past but didn't have much luck with them, part of which could be the water temperature?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Usually with plants it is more related to lights when they fail than water temp-it can get too cold for some species of plants...but its more light.

You should post some pic of your tanks and fish
Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #7 
six

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I didn't have much time to over the weekend.

I bought a heater. It is a self-regulating one and has the tank up to 74 degrees. It should eventually be up to 78.

Here is a picture of my current tank setup. Sorry for the blurriness of the photos... I'm not sure what's wrong with my camera.

Here is a picture of my betta, Icarus.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #8 
Adastra

The heater should help a lot--fish are cold blooded animals, so their entire metabolism is reliant on heat from outside sources to help push it along. Does the heater have an adjustable temperature dial? I can't tell from the picture, but adjustable heaters are the only design that I recommend because they have a reliable thermostat and they are a higher quality product. Pre-set and other non-adjustable designs can underheat or overheat the water and don't give the user any stability or control. If the heater is adjustable, I recommend keeping the dial on a low setting to start with and slowly adjusting it upward toward 78 degrees over the course of several hours.

As far as the pleco and the water conditions are concerned, OFL is right, the pleco is not a good match for this kind of setup. You should rehome it using local resources such as craigslist, your local aquarium society, or simply return him to the pet store if you don't have a larger tank to keep him in. As far as the tetras go, I would maintain the same number of them until your filter is safely cycled again. Once the cycle is complete, you can get a few tetras at a time until you have a full school of individuals.

I highly recommend getting a good liquid master test kit--these are indispensable for maintaining proper conditions in your tank, especially since you just annihilated any bacteria that may have been living in your tank with the Maracyn treatment--so you have to slowly cultivate again all the bacteria you lost. Going through the Nitrogen Cycle with fish in the tank can be tricky, you should take the time to research and understand the process and then purchase a good liquid master test kit, such as this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4454 During the cycling process you will want to make sure that the ammonia level and/or nitrite level in the tank is hovering around .25ppm, so that the bacteria have a food source and so the fish in the tank won't be harmed too much by the ammonia level. You will have to do frequent partial water changes and test often to maintain these levels while the cycling process is going on--this process normally takes around 3 weeks to complete depending on temperature, aeration, and ammonia levels. Once the process is complete, though, you will only have to do one weekly partial water change--probably only 30% or so.

Live plants could potentially help you out quite a bit, they use the waste your fish produce as fertilizer and as they consume it, they promote good water quality. You want to look for very specific species that thrive in low light, such as java moss, java ferns, anubias, anacharis, bacopa, etc. Some people also use bog plants like pothos for these purposes--simply place a cutting in the water so that any leaves and most of the stem sticks out into the air. This plant should flourish as long as only the roots are in the water. However, you will broad spectrum (fluorescent) light in order to sustain any aquatic plants you add. The basic 18 watt light strip is more than enough for many plants, and they aren't expensive. Here's an idea of what you might consider getting:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...81&pcatid=3781 All-glass canopies are cheap and very light--they also allow additional ambient light to pass through to feed your plants and illuminate your tank. If your office has fluorescent lighting, this is a great and inexpensive hood option. It will also prevent your betta from jumping ship--they are notoriously good jumpers.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...03&pcatid=3803 A simple 18 watt light strip will be able to feed your plants and illuminate your tank without causing dramatic temperature fluctuations. Incandescent lighting can stress out your fish, because when the light is turned off and on, the temperature changes significantly--fluorescent lights use less energy and give off a fraction of the heat of incandescents.

I recommend purchasing any items you want to buy online--the prices are much more reasonable and the variety is much greater than any pet store. Flat rate shipping on Foster and Smith is very reasonable, as long as you order a few items at once, you tend to save a significant amount of money.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fin, rot