Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #1 
small fry

Unhappy Swordtail Dying of Unknown Cause! Help!

Hello there. Over the past five days I've noticed a sudden decline in my female swordtail, Auraques's behavior. She hasn't eaten a flake in the past 4 days or more. She is now always irresponsive.

Recently there has been an outbreak of mouthrot in the tank and almost all tthe fish were infected with it. It came from a from a Lemon Tetra from my LPS that I failed to quarintine. When I noticed it on the Tetra I isolated it in my hospital tank. It died 10 days later, but I thought the mouthrot died with it. I watched my fish very carefully over the period of the next few weeks. Then, I let my guard down. I found my female swordtail had an extreme case of mouthrot, and the other fish had bad mouthrot. I treated the tank for the next week or so, along with multiple large water changes. I thought it had been taken care of but it came back a week later. I remedicated the tank and maybe I got rid of it this time. But my female swordtail is still sick!

Here are the symtoms; Silver gills, misformed gill, always resting on the gravel, not eating, not social interation with other fish or even me.

I have a hospital tank I can isolate the fish in if I need to. I am very concerned about this fish and the rest of the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreatiated.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 
small fry

My swordtail hasn't moved much at all. It still hasn't eaten in almost 5 days. I really need some advice!Name:  DSCN2628 2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  76.8 KB
I hope this picture shows up, but I've never posted a picture before.
Please help if you can. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #3 
metalbetta

Since this is a betta fish specific forum, I can't promise that you'll find the right kind of help you need here...
I wonder if there isn't a forum specific to swordtails that might be able to help you?
Wish I could help... but I only keep bettas. :/
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #4 
small fry

For everybody reading off of Betta Fish.com
I'm sorry about that. I origanally started this thread on Tropical Fish Keeping's forums. I guess I accidently posted under a betta catagory. But still, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #5 
small fry

jsut an update. Aruaques is in my 1.5 gallon hospital tank, where she will probably spend the rest of her short life if I can't help her. My swordtail, Aruaques is dying. Hasn't eaten in 6 days, lies upside-down on gravel, and now being isolated.

She is acting like my sister's old molly that got tuberculosis and died from it (along with all the rest of her fish). If anyone knows anything about tuberculosis other than it is uncureable, please let me know. I hope the rest of my fish don't have it.

Tags
emergency, help!, mouthrot, sick, urgent