Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #11 
Posaune

I usually move them around except for the plants, tend to not vacuum the gravel near them :P Don't want to disturb the roots.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #12 
Caliban

Plants are my next project. Just some moss balls and a moss covered piece of drift wood for now, but I may be setting up a second tank that would be planted, so I may make my 10 gallon officially planted at the same time.
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

In a 10g filtered un-planted tank: partial water change 50% weekly

I would leave the fish in the tank during the weekly partial water change (50%) unplug both the heater and filter-
Vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything (like the decoration) Every couple of months rearrange and vacuum under these areas with the weekly water change.

To re-fill-try and get the fresh water within 5 degrees of old water by adjusting the tap warm/cold mix (run the water for a second {1gal} to clear the pipes)-fill you water change bucket, add/mix the dechlorinator for 10g (chlorine/chloramine/heavy metal) and carefully add to the tank so not to disturb the substrate to much (I use my clean hand to pour the water over)(I use a digital thermometer under the running water to equalize temp)

Plug the heater and filter back in and the water should clear within an hour or so-monitor the water temp for a few hours as well

Give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain the water flow

Wash hand before and after
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #14 
Caliban

Mission accomplished. It was much easier than expected, and my mossy driftwood and moss balls have been added. He seemed very excited by it all.
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #15 
Canuck Fins

Good job with your first clean! :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote