Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #1 
TripleChrome

5 Gallon tank

So I have a 5 gallon tank just sitting up in my closet that I used for a nerite snail before. Would the tank be big enough for a single mystery snail?
TripleChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #2 
ymavroidis

yes definitely
i don't believe snails need much room i used to keep 3 in a 7 liter
ymavroidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #3 
JadeSparrow

I believe it would. From experience I have kept a decent sized mystery snail in a 5 gal with a female betta, though the tank was an npt. But as long as you keep up with the water changes it should be fine. If you give him/her plenty of leaves (fake or real, real plants would be better but either is fine) and some decor you might get to witness parasnailing lol. Mystery snails are a lot of fun and have more personality than you would think coming from a snail.
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #4 
TripleChrome

Okay, thanks. Only reason I was asking is because my sister keeps saying that they need a ten gallon for one. I want to strangle my sister so bad, but I already slapped her for calling her betta a 'decoration'.

How many water changes should I be doing on one if and when I get one in the five gallon without a filter? I have read on websites that they don't usually like filter currents, and that is what the guy at PetSmart (who has kept bettas, all kinds of fish, Mystery and Nerite Snails for over 20 years) has also said. And what do they usually eat? Would gravel be a good substrate, and if I can't afford live plants, can I use any plastic plant with bigger leaves for them to be on?

Sorry for all the questions. I have only owned the nerite snail when I was 10 (5 years ago), and somehow he escaped with the hood on the tank. (I guess he somehow got the feeding lid open).

Also, on a YouTube channel called PinkPets, she had a Mystery Snail in a 2.5 gallon, and when her ma!e betta died, the snail loved to hangout on the betta bed. Is a betta bed safe for them, the ones with the wire? Because that is the only kind my PetSmart and Petco sells.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #5 
CrazedHoosier

I think they'd probably would be fine with a filter. In a 5 gallon with no filter you'd need to do at least 50% water changes every other day. Gravel will be fine, but sand is usually better for most things. As for the plants, I think plastic would be fine; mine never had live. Live plants would, once again, probably be better for them, though.
CrazedHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #6 
JadeSparrow

I've gone both ways with a filter and live vs fake plants. I enjoy live plants more and i think the snail did but he lived for a year or so with fake plants and did just fine. In one of his tanks (yes he got transfered through a few tanks as they got upgraded or moved around) he tended to enjoy knocking over the sponge filter that was in there. They do tend to have a larger bio load for a snail so you will want to stay on top of the water changes just like you would for a fish. I don't know if I would do 50% every other day but I would do at least two partial water changes a week especially if you go with fake plants.
As for food, I fed algae wafers, blanched cucumber, and I'm pretty sure he ate left over fish food as well. I haven't heard of any issues with gravel versus sand with these guys and never encountered any so I would say that is up to you.
The only issue i can think of with the betta bed is that the wire tends to rust and cause water issues but any fish safe decor would be fine with the snail. It just might decided to rearrange some things for you as it explores them lol.
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #7 
2muttz

Mystery snails are such fun! I have a mystery snail, 2 tiny nerites and a betta in a filtered (and cycled) 5.5 gallon and the water parameters stay perfect with only one 30% water change a week. Only one live plant and some moss balls in there also.

I also have a mystery snail by herself in a 2 gallon filtered tank in my bathroom. The tank is a Spec II. It actually cycled quite quickly with the help of some Safestart and has stayed totally stable with 2 very small water changes a week. The snail seems very happy in there ~ she is constantly laying eggs!

I find snailwatching to be very "Zen".....
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #8 
TripleChrome

So, I am getting the snail in a few weeks. Whatkind of water conditioner should they have? I have Top Fin Freshwater/Saltwater water conditioner for my frogs. Can I use that on the snails?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #9 
givemethatfish

I had a mystery snail in a 5 gallon tank once, Turbo, and he was a lot of fun and he actually loved currents and bubbles. He would continually snail on over to the bubble tube, let his shell fill with bubbles, and eventually he would take off spinning through the tank. He'd repeat this all day long sometimes.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #10 
Flint

Mystery Snails require 2 gallons per snail so it's a perfect size. You could have two.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote