Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Their price comes from their color. I rescind my comment about them losing color, that's for tattooed fish like the White Skirts. I believe the Zebra's are the only ones who are actually GMO, they get their color from an amino acid from a jellyfish and it's spliced into their genetic code which gives them their color. They were first produced to be water quality indicators, when the water was good they'd significantly brighten and then dull when it was worse. The same actually occurs naturally in Rummynose Tetras (not sure about Rummynose Rasbora though) with their red noses.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, the White Skirts are the ones that are tattooed but I know for sure that the Zebra's are GMO (genetically modified organism) which means they will never lose their color.

Sorry about the mix of information here >.<
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #12 
tankman12

Actually from what i know neither are tattooed. All the glofish, no matter the species are GMO. The peach, strawberry, fruity tetras, those are died. See these are died ones. Notice the color only does half way threw the fish. These one with fade back to the normal white skirt.

Glo white skirt, notice how the color is actually the fish. It is actually the color of the skin or scales.

From what i know non of the glofish are tattooed, they are all GMO. They started with the danios cuz it was easier. Now they are GM all different fish. Any tattooed fish will have names like this; painted (besides painted swordtails), fruit, tattooed, and well died.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #13 
2muttz

Tankman, you are correct. All the "glofish" ( there are now danios, tetras and barbs) are genetically modified and not dyed. My understanding is that the ones for sale these days are all quite a few generations away from the original experimental glofish ~ they are born naturally with these colors and no longer have to have any dna "fiddling". Intially the dna in the egg form was what was worked on, not the actual fish.

Those awful dyed fish ~ the "mixed fruit tetras" seem to be the most common, are totally different and do indeed suffer, and then ultimately lose their color. I think the only place in my area that stills sells them is Walmart. Sigh. Not a big surprise....
2muttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #14 
tankman12

Sorry, edited.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #15 
tankman12

Also, i dont know if this was already said. They sterilize the ones they sell. Cuz they dont want other people breeding their patented product. I believe they do have a patent on the way they make these fish.

But they probably keep some non sterilized ones to breed. Instead of doing this whole process again. I believe the bright colors are actually in their DNA now.
Posted via Mobile Device