Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #1 
wystearya

Filter types vs. Plant food

Well, I got my 5 gallon tank yesterday and I have started the slow process of cycling.

But, the filter has one cartridge that has activated carbon in it, and I have read this will take the iron out of the water - thus taking the fertilizer the live plants need out.

So, I need to know what kind of filter media I should use instead. The fiilter box currently has two filters. One "Bio-fiber" filter that is not supposed to be changed, and the activated carbon that supposedly needs to be changed every 2-4 weeks.

I just want to make sure my plants get the nutrients they need from the liquid fertilizer I have. It has iron in it, and it would be a waste to add it if the filter is going to remove the iron anyway.

Thanks for the help!
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would cut a slit in the filter and dump the carbon out and save it for later if needed-I don't use carbon with my planted tanks-I also don't use ferts because I have soil based tanks and don't need it...

I would go to the fert website and see if they have information on it or e-mail them and ask
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #3 
wystearya

Thank you so much! -Your always so helpful Fish Lady.

I was hoping I could just cut the filter and take the carbon out. This is exactly what I will do. :)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote