Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #11 
Capricorn

You can tell your mom that I keep a 29 gallon aquarium on a dresser that belonged to my grandmother (it's quite old) without any problems. Two small tanks won't hurt it. xD

As for everything that's been said, yep- critter keepers are great investments. They're super easy to clean.. I have a very weak left arm from surgery a couple years ago, and I can change all three of my tanks without help.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #12 
buzzbee

you should know they sell heaters under $10

also, put a towel under anything wet you have on your dresser
buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #13 
Strigiformes

buzzbee, most of those $10 heaters are preset and don't work very well so they are a bad idea
Strigiformes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

I just use plastic tubs, they're cheap and at Walmart...heck a nearly 20 gallon one is like $5.

I also use 1 gallon Critter Keepers from Walmart and gallon pickle jars.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #15 
KandiiPanda

Actually, my fish thrived for almost a year in a tank like yours before I upgraded the tank c=
It doesn't make you a bad owner at all; you know you'd give him the best if you could and I'm sure they know you love them

Skimming over what people have already said, I don't think there's much else I can add to this...my new tank is a 2-gallon, its a Go Diego Go tank I got from Meijer's for twenty dollars (came with gravel, stickers, a cheap plant and a decoration of him riding a turtle, haha). You basically need a heater with a bigger tank, but I also advise against the cheap 10 dollar ones because they can easily cook your fish. A filter isn't completely necessary as long as you're cleaning the tank enough
KandiiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigiformes View Post
buzzbee, most of those $10 heaters are preset and don't work very well so they are a bad idea
The Tetra preset heaters work really well. My 4 gallon plastic tub (which has like 75 little baby bettas in there....gotta move them to the growout in a few days) is like 78-80* F at all times, I really like not having to mess with them.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #17 
wystearya

I just want to say that in my experience, the Tetra HT10 heater is a good pre-set heater. It was about $16 at my local pet store.

The HT10 is for tanks from 2-10 gallons. I have one in my 2.5 gallon tank and now one in my new 5 gallon, it keeps both at 78 degrees without wild temperature fluctuations. Here in WV the temperature has already been cold some nights, and these heaters have worked. There is a light on the heater that is green while the unit is plugged in, the light turns red when it is actively heating the water.

It's not pricey and (for me at least) it sure does the job!

-------

Edit - MrVampire beat me to it. lol!

Last edited by wystearya; 10-20-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: editing. ;P
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I just want to say that in my experience, the Tetra HT10 heater is a good pre-set heater. It was about $16 at my local pet store.

The HT10 is for tanks from 2-10 gallons. I have one in my 2.5 gallon tank and now one in my new 5 gallon, it keeps both at 78 degrees without wild temperature fluctuations. Here in WV the temperature has already been cold some nights, and these heaters have worked. There is a light on the heater that is green while the unit is plugged in, the light turns red when it is actively heating the water.

It's not pricey and (for me at least) it sure does the job!

-------

Edit - MrVampire beat me to it. lol!
hehe. I use the 2-10 gallon version and the 10-30 gallon version. Sometimes it swings a little low but mainly that's because the lid isn't clapped on tightly enough.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #19 
Capricorn

I actually have preset heaters in my two small tanks, and even with the drop in outside temperatures lately I haven't had a problem keeping them warm.. I check them every couple hours or so since the tanks are in my room. If they start to fail on me I'll go out to purchase a better one, but they've worked fine for me so far. (: I have one Hydor (I think that's what it is, lol) and one Tetra preset, and then an Aqueon adjustable one for my 10gal.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #20 
Lion Mom

"I just want to say that in my experience, the Tetra HT10 heater is a good pre-set heater. It was about $16 at my local pet store."

Ok, here is what I don't get. WHY would anybody pay $16.00 for a pre-set heater (which aren't all that dependable, IMO) when they could go to Ebay and get a 25 watt ADJUSTABLE, fully submersible Jebo heater for $15.49 IN THE DOOR????!!!!

I have two from this seller and could not be happier with them AND the entire transaction (VERY fast shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

BTW, if anybody is interested the 50 watt heaters are the same price.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote