Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #1 
zebra935

Question 5-7 gallon suggestions.

I will be receiving a 5-7 gallon tank from a friend. I have one male betta and was wondereing what to put in there with him. This includes fish, decorations, plants, etc....

Thanks!!!!
zebra935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #2 
TharBePirates

You can stuff a 5-7 gallon with lots of live plants. Here's my setup as an example-

3 amazon swords
3 lace java ferns
2 java ferns
2 anubias
2 pieces of driftwood wrapped in riccia floutians
1 piece of driftwood wrapped in java moss
1 anubias nana
floating riccia
floating duckweed

Bettas really love cover, so I tend to feel the more the better (Gyarados seems to agree with me, he spends most of his time prowling around in his greenery). Anubias, java ferns and moss and riccia are all very easy, I am new to amazon swords so I can't say too much about them yet. If you like the natural look, Petco and Petsmart sell small bundles of river rock that are very nice decorations, as well as natural gravel.

As for tankmates a 5-7 is a bit too small for more fish. Try about 4 ghost shrimp (they run 50 cents a piece). They can be sensative to ammonia and Ph, and your betta may eat them, but as cheap as they are they aren't a huge loss. If they do survive, they eat a lot of waste and are a good clean up crew for the tank. It's also fun to try and find them as they end up in the oddest places :)

Here's my 5 gallon au naturale...
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 
ihave2bettafish

wow your tank looks beautiful, btw are all those plants live plant? where can i find/buy those plants?
ihave2bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #4 
zebra935

The tank was once a saltwater tank. What should I do to make it betta-safe?
zebra935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

TharBePirates, your tank looks great! I'd love to do something like that (but with an ornament of some kind in front).

Zebra, I would expect you'd have to clean the tank really well, but you'd need to check what to clean it with as fish can be sensitive. I hope someone has an answer!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote