Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #21 
peaches3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
I'd try to upgrade them so they don't develop neurotic problems from boredom.
so they will go insane from boredom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
You aren't a bad fish owner though hun. You want to do whats best for them and are being held back mostly by the lack of freedom that comes with being young. Maybe you can show your mom this site and get her to know the recommended 'minimum' for the fish and find the cheapest way to go about it.
thank you! *sigh* its hard to be 12... oh, and I will show my mom the betta care sticky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
as has been said, critter keepers are fairly cheap (you might have to save up and buy one at a time, but hey, you'll get there!) you could always voulenteer to do more chores also (if you get an allowance based on chores, this works great! :D)
yeah, I do get an allowance of $10 per week. I could get a critter carrier, but I would be afraid to put a heater in a plastic tank...
Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
i think you're a wonderful fish owner for being so concerned about your babies and wanting to make them as happy as possible!! :)
thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
in the current situation, you're doing the best you can. Don't be too hard on yourself.
thanks! yeah, it's hard to upgrade with betta food and water conditioner prices going up, and a good portion of my allowance goes to that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
As for getting extra money, maybe ask if there are any extra chores you can do around the house?
yeah, I could do that... I bet my mom would give me some extra money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
maybe ask for the tanks for Christmas, it's only 2 months away!
yeah, and my birthday is three days before Christmas too! YAY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
I have a very weak left arm from surgery a couple years ago
oh no! I hope it gets better...

thanks to everyone for helping me I went to target yesterday, they had this: http://www.target.com/Anchor-Hocking...n&frombrowse=0 it's one gallon, lots of swimming space. hopefully soon I will upgrade even more, like a 2.5 with a filter... anyway, yeah, I know I said I didn't like glass but I think I learned from my mistake (never put the jar on the edge of the sink!) and I should be O.K. plus they didn't have anything plastic. so I was a little concerned about the lid, if I open it daily for feeding, will that be enough air circulation? again, thanks everyone!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #22 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlark View Post
When it comes to kritter keepers I know everyone's saying 2.5 gallons, but the stores seem to label them in inches, so how does that translate? I could really use an upgrade from what I have now, and I'm in a dorm so my options are limited.
5 inches deep, 12 inches long, 8 inches tall :3 or something along those lines
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
"I just want to say that in my experience, the Tetra HT10 heater is a good pre-set heater. It was about $16 at my local pet store."

Ok, here is what I don't get. WHY would anybody pay $16.00 for a pre-set heater (which aren't all that dependable, IMO) when they could go to Ebay and get a 25 watt ADJUSTABLE, fully submersible Jebo heater for $15.49 IN THE DOOR????!!!!

I have two from this seller and could not be happier with them AND the entire transaction (VERY fast shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

BTW, if anybody is interested the 50 watt heaters are the same price.
I've had weird issues with adjustable....they raise the temps slowly after awhile, and they break really easily. The Tetra preset heaters are excellent...how do I know? Because baby bettas can't stand temperature fluctuations, if these heaters weren't reliable my 2 week olds would be dead..but they're healthy, growing well and eating a ton of live food. I have an adjustable heater that's been getting super hot, as in the water is like taking a hot shower...luckily it's in a 2 gallon half filled where my brine shrimp hatcheries are so they hacth super fast now

AND the Tetra ones are like $10 at Walmart...
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #24 
zelilaa

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
so they will go insane from boredom?

thank you! *sigh* its hard to be 12... oh, and I will show my mom the betta care sticky!

yeah, I do get an allowance of $10 per week. I could get a critter carrier, but I would be afraid to put a heater in a plastic tank...
thank you!
thanks! yeah, it's hard to upgrade with betta food and water conditioner prices going up, and a good portion of my allowance goes to that...
yeah, I could do that... I bet my mom would give me some extra money...
yeah, and my birthday is three days before Christmas too! YAY!
oh no! I hope it gets better...

thanks to everyone for helping me I went to target yesterday, they had this: http://www.target.com/Anchor-Hocking-Glass-Jar-Set/dp/B003NYT1DW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=ancho r%20hocking&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-4&qid=1287619778&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=An chor%20Hocking%20Glass%20Jar%20Set&node=1038576|12 87991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1 038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,pri ce,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0 it's one gallon, lots of swimming space. hopefully soon I will upgrade even more, like a 2.5 with a filter... anyway, yeah, I know I said I didn't like glass but I think I learned from my mistake (never put the jar on the edge of the sink!) and I should be O.K. plus they didn't have anything plastic. so I was a little concerned about the lid, if I open it daily for feeding, will that be enough air circulation? again, thanks everyone!

noooo dont buy that! first of all- you cant use the lid anyways as it would block out the air.
second of all- one gallon is still too small
third and biggest reason- please just go to petsmart. They sell 2.5 gallon tanks for 13 dollars! thats cheaper and better then some glass jars.
fourth reason- the 2.5 gallon tanks look nicer and have more horizontal swimming room (a foot long)
fifth reason- its curved and the glass is real thick, so seeing your betta will be hard and obnoxios
sixth reason- the glass is thick and its curved so its hard to get a filter unless you custom build something to adapt it like i have to do for my 3 gal bowl.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #25 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelilaa View Post
noooo dont buy that! first of all- you cant use the lid anyways as it would block out the air.
second of all- one gallon is still too small
third and biggest reason- please just go to petsmart. They sell 2.5 gallon tanks for 13 dollars! thats cheaper and better then some glass jars.
fourth reason- the 2.5 gallon tanks look nicer and have more horizontal swimming room (a foot long)
fifth reason- its curved and the glass is real thick, so seeing your betta will be hard and obnoxios
sixth reason- the glass is thick and its curved so its hard to get a filter unless you custom build something to adapt it like i have to do for my 3 gal bowl.
Bettas don't need that much air. I know one breeder who ordered in some bettas and they were two weeks late but they came alive in their bags. My jars have lids that are always kept tightly screwed on, it also helps with humidity which bettas like. Plus your unscrewing it once or twice a day for feeding which adds more air and gets rid of the old air.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #26 
peaches3221

so my jar is ok to use? *crosses fingers*
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #27 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
"I just want to say that in my experience, the Tetra HT10 heater is a good pre-set heater. It was about $16 at my local pet store."

Ok, here is what I don't get. WHY would anybody pay $16.00 for a pre-set heater (which aren't all that dependable, IMO) when they could go to Ebay and get a 25 watt ADJUSTABLE, fully submersible Jebo heater for $15.49 IN THE DOOR????!!!!

I have two from this seller and could not be happier with them AND the entire transaction (VERY fast shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

BTW, if anybody is interested the 50 watt heaters are the same price.
Because I'm not allowed to buy online.

Plus, from my experience, they work just fine in smaller tanks. They keep the tank at a steady 76-77 degrees.

The jar should be okay to use. I'd leave an inch or so of air for him to breathe, and since you'll be opening it regularly it should be okay...

And btw, heaters are totally fine to use in plastic tanks! Otherwise a lot of the bettas here would be scrweed.

Last edited by Jupiter; 10-20-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #28 
peaches3221

thank you! I will give the jar a try then, until I can ask for a bigger tank for my birthday/Christmas.

Last edited by peaches3221; 10-20-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #29 
SilverCaracal

I think those jars should be fine as long as you open them a few times a day. Don't worry-I started out just like you :) Now I have a filtered 2.5 Minibow. Eventually, you'll upgrade.

Jupiter and MrVampire181 - Do they sell Tetra preset heaters at Petsmart? Or is it only Walmart? I could go to Walmart, but they don't have a fish section, so I'm not sure they'll sell heaters...

Edit: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4056279 This is the Minibow I got from Petsmart. It's only $25!! But at the store it might be priced higher, so you'll have to report it to an employee. Comes with a filter too, so you won't have to worry about that :)

Last edited by SilverCaracal; 10-20-2010 at 09:12 PM.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #30 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
I think those jars should be fine as long as you open them a few times a day. Don't worry-I started out just like you :) Now I have a filtered 2.5 Minibow. Eventually, you'll upgrade.

Jupiter and MrVampire181 - Do they sell Tetra preset heaters at Petsmart? Or is it only Walmart? I could go to Walmart, but they don't have a fish section, so I'm not sure they'll sell heaters...
I haven't seen them at PetsMart...but then again I don't go to the aisle with the heaters, unless I'm looking at plants. They might but I get mine from Walmart.