Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #1 
Feral

Betta toys?

I have seen people mention here where they've added ping-pong balls or floating plant bulbs that their Betta pals like to play with, but a quick search of the forum didn't yield any direct results for Betta toys- I know it would be helpful to me (and maybe to others in the future too) if there were one easily accessible thread with peoples suggestions as to what objects their little critters find amusement in.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-F
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #2 
cballas

I was just wondering this myself....I caved and bought an overpriced Betta Mirror...it floats and is..a double sided mirror. lol...I could have made it, but I'm too lazy. heh
They push it around :)

I thought of making maybe a ping pong ball attached to a fishing line and anchoring it to a decoration,
so they could knock it back and forth...just worried the line would tangle em.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #3 
dirtyfishbow

the mirror from what i understand help to keep them strong, but do they PLAY?
dirtyfishbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 
cballas

OH YA and I saw an article suggesting changing the OUTSIDE decorations are just as good for stimulating them. One forum member had her normally docile betta flare like crazy at a box of prunes. LoL
Maybe put a stuffed animal or framed picture next to the tank?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #5 
cballas

I see what you mean by asking...Not sure if it's playing, but they flare at it & push it around....I think honestly most (unless the personality is super shy), like being "where the action" is....Danny Boy is in the living room, and swims up to greet everybody passing by, dances for onlookers,
and watches TV. I try to make a game out of feeding them all...sticking a pellet to my finger and running it around the tank slowly..make them work for it.
If I could jump in I would LoL
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #6 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cballas View Post
OH YA and I saw an article suggesting changing the OUTSIDE decorations are just as good for stimulating them.One forum member had her normally docile betta flare like crazy at a box of prunes.
LoL
Maybe put a stuffed animal or framed picture next to the tank?
ROTFL!!! A box of prunes eh? Oh my...

I've got his bowl in a room with lots of palms and canes and lots of natural sunlight and a sound generator that makes cricket sounds, so hopefully that's stimulating for him, but other than his tank decorations, one big plastic plant and half a dozen small ones, a crocodile skull to hide in and a lily plant that's FINALLY growing, he's got nothing to physically interact with except me when I'm home and nothing at all to provide motion in the tank or an actual toy. Surely he must get bored during the day... the mirror sounds good to give him a sense of motion when he catches his own reflection, but I wonder if it wouldn't anger him too-

Do you suppose he might enjoy a small bubbler set up on an intermittant switch so it came on randomly?

Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #7 
cballas

Yep....Prunes. LOLLL.....Her betta flared at the prune picture!

Your set up sounds fantastic. That must be a big bowl for all those decorations :)

You know some people say it over exerts them to flare all the time....But I've read from
experienced breeders here & other places, that it really doesn't hurt them to do this.
If they get tired, they will just stop, or hide in their special area...And I've found this to be true as well.
Danny Boy flared for like 10 minutes at the black background, then eventuallly got sick of it & went on
looking at other tank objects. One member said they keep their males in side by side tanks,
and they are perfectly healthy, even if they flare off often.
I don't think it's "anger" like we as human's feel it...In the wild, the goal isn't to kill
rival bettas, just bluff/scare it away from it's "turf", and the weaker one runs away.

The bubbler on a timer sounds cool. Some bettas LOVE playing in currents,
and chasing bubbles...Conrad does this during water changes, stays under where I'm
pouring the fresh water. It's very cute. lol

I thought about a moving decoration..But most make such a loud noise when they clamp down, that MUST get annoying right??

SOME bettas can be tanked with corycats or shrimp...If you ever want like a 10G...Some might attack them but others will live
peaceful & watch their tankmates with much interest...and maybe try to steal their food...lol

Last edited by cballas; 10-20-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #8 
Posaune

I divided my ten gallon tank, one male on each side. My first betta really got some personality and became more active when that second betta appeared on the other side of the divider. At first, Little Guy thought it was his reflection again so he was like "meh", but then he realized it wasn't moving with him then he was like "WTF FLARE!" :P
I should try the pingpong balls though, he might enjoy that.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #9 
dirtyfishbow

I have Red " my study buddy" that loves to watch me work. He flars up every time i turn the page, so I wonder if this is a game for him or he is mad because he didnt finish reading the page. lol
dirtyfishbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfishbow View Post
I have Red " my study buddy" that loves to watch me work. He flars up every time i turn the page, so I wonder if this is a game for him or he is mad because he didnt finish reading the page. lol
OMG that's too cute! XD <3
I kinda wish I could fit the 5 gallon on my desk now. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote