Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #1 
justanything88

Max and Snail

hello everyone!!

this is my first post on this site, but i was snooping around and everyone has beautiful fish!!

My name is Hayley, and this is Max:

he's got quite the personality and is usually scared of everything (including his own reflection), but today i got him a pretty yellow snail to clean the algae off his bowl. at first, max ignored the snail but everytime he thinks im not looking, he's poking at it's shell. for now, ive moved max to a different bowl but i need them to get along! any tips???

thanks!
xx, hayley

Last edited by justanything88; 10-15-2010 at 05:26 PM.
justanything88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

How much water does Max's bowl hold? This is relevant though it seems like it isn't. Lovely boy btw. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #3 
justanything88

its not a very big bowl (im not sure exactly how many gallons it holds) but max can live comfortably and there is lots of extra space. i put him back in and he hasnt even bothered the snail so, im crossing my fingers they become friends! haha
justanything88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

It's important to know how many gallons your enclosure holds. Bettas require at least 2.5 gallon permanent homes.

Mystery Snails also create a LOT of waste. If you have a betta and a snail you'll need at least 3-4 gallons.

I'd scoop your betta into the cup he came in, then take a gallon milk jug or tea pitcher and see how many times you can empty the whole jug/pitcher into your bowl.

As for your betta attacking your snail: Bettas are a species that have been selectively bred for their aggression (along with their finnage and coloration) for decades. Some bettas get along with tankmates and some can't have any. You might have a particularly aggressive fish. I'd keep an eye on what happens.

It's nice to meet you btw. =] Sorry I forgot to say that in my first post. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #5 
Lunatatice

I love your betta! I'd have to agree to the above post, but if your tank isn't that big and you still want to keep them together you should do very frequent water changes. (Every day-every other day depending on the size of bowl)
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Yes. You should do water changes every other day. And do you think you could maybe post a pic of your bowl?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #7 
cballas

Not sure how many gallons he's in (pretty boy btw)...OR the size of the snail....
I have one in a 3G w/ a fairly big snail (ramshorn), and he never messes with it.
My other's all have pond snails in with them (hanger ons from live plants), and they sometimes
will knock them off the glass. But they are still alive.
They don't really need a tankmate to be happy, YOU are their best friend!
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote