Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #1 
kpullen89

Unhappy Friend's fish needs help!

My friend/neighbor has recently gotten a betta(she got the idea after seeing all mine) and now its come down with something that I can't figure out..

First of all he's kept in a 1.5 gallon bowl(not my recommendation, but its what she wanted), its heated and she usually changes his water once a week. He's been doing fine for a couple months.. She said she got lazy about cleaning and didn't change the water for a while until yesterday. I visited her today and saw her fish pale, with his fins severely clamped! She didn't realize it was a real issue, she just thought he looked weird.. He's still eating at least, but he hides under plants and is very lethargic..clearly a sick guy. Its a shame because he's usually a breathtaking red half moon..

I told her she should change his water every day until he's better while using aquarium salt. Any other suggestions? The main symptom is the clamped fins which could be ick or red velvet disease but there's no sign of white spots or red patches. Any ideas?
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #2 
karlhague

It could be ammonia poisoning if the water isnt being changed regularly..

Aquarium salt should only ever be used for 10 days, any longer and it could damage your friends betta's internal organs

Or it could be lethargy? What temperature is the water?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #3 
kpullen89

I don't her water temp, I could ask her when I see her tomorrow. Ammonia poisoning seems right.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpullen89 View Post
I don't her water temp, I could ask her when I see her tomorrow. Ammonia poisoning seems right.

For the ammonia poisoning. Try finding some pure methalyne blue Mix a bit into some water, and try Bathing him in it..

I'm sure Adastra or OldFishLady will be here at some point and will be able to advise better than I can..

I hope your friends fish recovers from being ill.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You guys are on the right track....water changes and lots of them to start-50-100% depending if the tank is filtered or not-if after 3 days of daily water changes and the fish hasn't perked up start a salt treatment.

Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days while in QT is best-
Pre-mix the salt in a 1gal jug to make water changes and dosage easier

I would encourage her to increase the regular water changes to twice weekly to prevent these issues...so much easier to prevent than to treat......I do understand that you are limited since its not your fish......all we can do is tell a person the correct care...can't make them do it.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #6 
kpullen89

Oldfishlady - Yeah I understand I can only tell her and hope that she does it. Honestly judging from her attitude about changing the water, I'm not sure she'll follow the water changes. I'll make sure to tell her about the salt regimen and make her know how important it is.

karlhague - Thanks, I hope he gets better too! I'm going to visit her today and see. I'm not sure about the blue methalyne; sadly I think my friend would ignore that advice if it requires her to go out and buy something. I know she has the aquarium salt though.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #7 
wystearya

It's always hard to see someone mistreat a living thing. Even if it is "just" a fish, the poor thing doesn't deserve to slowly suffer.

I had a friend neglect her own fish once. The water was *nasty* and then she put it on top of her room heater and forgot about it. The poor thing didn't stand a chance. :/

I will be hoping for the best. I hope your friend will choose to do the right thing.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #8 
Adastra

Yeah, the water changing schedule definitely needs to improve--the others basically said it all, though. If she's having trouble maintaining the tank, you should really encourage your friend to go with a larger container and get some live plants.

Whereabouts in Virginia are you? If you happen to be closeby, I have a ton of java moss and other cuttings to get rid of, and a big container or methylene blue that I don't think I could finish in a million years. I only get to use it when I acquire new fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I knew someone once who put her betta out on her porch because she thought fresh air would do him good. He ended up dying.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote