Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #11 
metalbetta

Winston likes watching people do the dishes, Sora watches TV, Cameron flares at anything that even comes near his counter... I'll have to get a vid sometime... ummm the sorority follows me. It's creepy. As for toys I've been meaning to try out ping pong balls, I'm sure the girls would love that!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #12 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cballas View Post
Yep....Prunes. LOLLL.....Her betta flared at the prune picture!

Your set up sounds fantastic. That must be a big bowl for all those decorations :)

You know some people say it over exerts them to flare all the time....But I've read from
experienced breeders here & other places, that it really doesn't hurt them to do this.
If they get tired, they will just stop, or hide in their special area...And I've found this to be true as well.
Danny Boy flared for like 10 minutes at the black background, then eventuallly got sick of it & went on
looking at other tank objects. One member said they keep their males in side by side tanks,
and they are perfectly healthy, even if they flare off often.
I don't think it's "anger" like we as human's feel it...In the wild, the goal isn't to kill
rival bettas, just bluff/scare it away from it's "turf", and the weaker one runs away.

The bubbler on a timer sounds cool. Some bettas LOVE playing in currents,
and chasing bubbles...Conrad does this during water changes, stays under where I'm
pouring the fresh water. It's very cute. lol

I thought about a moving decoration..But most make such a loud noise when they clamp down, that MUST get annoying right??

SOME bettas can be tanked with corycats or shrimp...If you ever want like a 10G...Some might attack them but others will live
peaceful & watch their tankmates with much interest...and maybe try to steal their food...lol
It's a big bowl as they go, roughly 16" in diameter and pretty nearly a perfect sphere except for the flat on the bottom and the 6" opening on the top... Holds just under 7 gallons depending on how high you fill it.

I'm thinking that a bubbler set up to run intermittently (so it's not on ALL the time and become an ordinary feature that he expects) and restricted so that it doesn't rough him up when he passes through it might just be a sort of massager for him- I know I like the airjets in a spa.... It's something I could try that wouldn't cost a bunch anyway.

You know, I still can't get over that flaring at the prune box thing- what must be going through his mind??? HAWWW!!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #13 
rileyup

betta fish like action figures kaidas favorite toy is his penguin action figure,but anything plastic i mostly used barbie toys
rileyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #14 
dragonfair

I can't get my boys to play with anything except following my finger around. I don't have any space around the tanks so I thought maybe putting more plants in and hidey caves in would spark their interest, but no... still brainstorming...
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #15 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyup View Post
betta fish like action figures kaidas favorite toy is his penguin action figure,but anything plastic i mostly used barbie toys
I never thought about putting a little action figure in there! when I get my tank all set up I might have to do that
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #16 
metalbetta

LikeDisco thought I'd go off topic for two seconds and say I love your avi! Fellow truebie? :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #17 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
LikeDisco thought I'd go off topic for two seconds and say I love your avi! Fellow truebie? :)
Thank you! Yes, I loooove trueblood. Read all the books, then found out they had a show! lol! Glad I have another truebie on the forum here with me =P
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #18 
wystearya

I'm loving all these ideas! I'm inspired now. Since I collect toys, I have a few all plastic figures I might try putting in the tank now and then to see if any of them interest Topaz.

I also read today on another thread that the plastic hamster tubes are something people use too. I never would have thought of that!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #19 
Posaune

I find that if I put anything in the tank with Little Guy, he'll check it out. I tied a steelsinker onto a piece of fish line and hung it in his tank, and he spent some time looking at it and touching it.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #20 
Feral

I remember seeing some pretty realistic looking soft rubber fishing lures like minnows or crawfish in the sporting goods areas of different stores- has anyone here ever tried putting one of these (without the hook of course) in your Bettas tanks and what did they make of it? Curiousity? fear? hostility?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote