Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #1 
Mystixism

Newbie betta caregiver

Hello everyone! My son has been asking for a fish since he was two so we used it as a potty training bribe. Well, he got potty trained and we got Goldie (a blue betta and yes, his name is Goldie. It's a 4 year old thing). Of course, I am the primary caregiver. We have him in a 2 gallon tank with a heater and a couple of decorations. The first 24 hours he survived being stuck to the filter which we promptly removed, a freezing tank in which we quickly got a heater, and he was barely eating. Since getting the shrimp brine and bloodworms he eats like a champ. I do have a question, maybe a couple. For the most part, he seems healthy: no fin damage that I can tell, eats well, very interactive and curious and even seems to be at the beginning of a bubble nest. But he swims CONSTANTLY and sometimes erratically. Sometimes I even think he is begging for food as he follows me to whatever side of the tank I am on. Is this all normal? Are some bettas just more active than others? I would be exhausted if I was him lol
Mystixism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

That behavior is totally normal. Some bettas are very active swimmers and will be constantly swimming around their tank and then will start to adjust and calm down. My newest betta Perry was incredibly active when I first got him but has since calmed a bit. I would only start to worry if you see him purposely swimming into his decor or scratching against it.

And yes, bettas do beg for food it seems. Once your betta learns that you are "the bringer of food" he will constantly wiggle and beg for it. Any time I walk over too my tanks ALL of my betta go to the top where their feeding spot is.

one more piece of advice - keep up with water changes. It your betta is kept in warm and clean water then he will almost never have any health problems (which means you will not be running to the store last minute to buy a new fish for your son). With a 2 gallon tank you need to be doing two 50% and one 100% water changes every week to keep the ammonia levels down. Make a schedule - for example do the 100% water change on saturday, and the two 50% one Monday and Thursday. Pick a schedule that fits your personal schedule. One thing my parents did when i was younger was have me help out with water changes. Yes, when I was very young (i was 6 when my parents bought me my first fish), my dad would do all of the work but I would help wash the decor. So it might be a good idea to get your son involved with the cleaning. This way he learns how important it is to take proper care of your fish.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #3 
Mystixism

Thanks for your response! I have been doing one 50% per week and have done only one 100% in the past two weeks. I can step it up a bit. I am hoping to get a larger tank eventually too and I am sure Goldie would appreciate that. Other than the crazy swimming, he seems to be great. :)
Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

upgrading is always a good idea and i am sure Goldie would love it :) Hope your son is enjoy his finned friend!
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #5 
fisharefriendsnotfood78

My new fish swims around like that too. I'm new to Bettas as well so I'm glad to hear that this is normal haha
fisharefriendsnotfood78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #6 
Aeon

typical male feed me im hungry over and over again
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #7 
Mystixism

He still swims like a lunatic, but eating and interactive so i think we are ok :) I did buy a larger tank (5gal) but I haven't set it up yet. We also had a bit of fin rot starting. I medicated the tank and then changed the water and I think it has stopped. I have no idea why he was getting fin rot though since I am meticulous about keeping his tank clean.