Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #1 
Mjoyn91

Exclamation Tears in Fins! Need advice!

I just got my betta three days ago. Yesterday, he had a large rip in one of his fins. He's not missing a section of the fin, it just looks more like the splitting of a bird's feather. I removed anything i thought looked sharp enough to harm his fins from the aquarium. Now this morning I wake up to find another rip on a different fin! My tank has been going for one week, i'm getting the water tested today. What should i do to help his fins heal?
Mjoyn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Lots of water changes...fresh water will help to heal and prevent secondary infection...also, sometimes if the filtration is too strong it can cause the fins to rip/tear-a good varied diet will also help the healing process and help to build strong tissue

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-20-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #3 
Mjoyn91

Thanks for the tips! I've got the filter on almost the lowest setting so i dont think it could be the issue. I read online that vitachem can help fish regrow tissue. Would you recommend this?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

clean water and aqua salt.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #5 
peaches3221

the aquarium salt will help (make sure it is aquarium salt, not marine salt for saltwater fish or table salt, you can find it at the pet store or KOSHER salt from the grocery store is the same thing), but make sure you treat him for NO LONGER THAN 10 DAYS or it will cause organ damage, after he's been off the salt for another 10 days you can repeat the treatment and if he is in a filtered tank take the filter out or temporarily move him into a 1 gallon bowl and change the water daily.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #6 
Mjoyn91

Thanks for the help guys! I've been doing daily water changes and it actually looks like the fins are on their ways to healing up by themselves. I'm keeping an eye out for infections though!