I have a female betta named Cher. Young and on the small side still. She lives in her tank alone (I got one of those double-tanks from Petco and took out the separator) with a plant.
So far so good. Last week, however, I left home (Virginia) to visit family in Georgia. I left my animals, including Cher and her "brother" Sunny (also a betta) in the care of a close friend who also has pets. Unfortunately, I was unable to get Cher a weekend feeder while away, and by the time I returned, my friend had pretty much clouded poor Cher's tank with food (I think she poured in a bit much) and the tank was filthy and stank. So, I cleaned Cher's tank.
Earlier this afternoon, I had to wipe down my kitchen counter (where I take Cher's things to clean them) with Lysol wipes. I followed Lysol with a Bleach Pen to get rid of some stains on the counter (we rent, so I'm very careful with this). After cleaning up the bleach, I re-Lysol'd (I know I'm weird) and dried everything up thoroughly with a paper towel. As I went to put Cher back into her tank, she flipped out of the net and onto the counter. I immediately worked to get her back into fresh clean water, although she flipped around on the counter a few more times. She seemed fine from the git-go, though obviously a bit frightened from the ordeal.
- What can I do to insure that she was neither burned or otherwise harmed by the counter having been chlorinated earlier?
- Should I worry?
- What can I do if she does show signs of having been aversely affected?
Please help... Cher is VERY special to me, and was an extremely special gift from my husband recently. I couldn't bear it if something happened to her right now.
Thank you so much ahead of time.