tamenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomsizzle View Post
almost looks like a female. But definitly a male
i know he is a male because he used to make buble nest not anymore :(
tamenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #12 
Fawnleaf

Alright, I believe you :) Sorry Anyways, yeah, change his water. Maybe add some aquarium salt if you have any... his water must we warm, check his level of activity... ect.
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #13 
Adastra

Wow. I think your mother is mistaken or perhaps performed a switcharoo on you. >_> The fish looks like a marble, and usually marbles go solid or marble out when they mature.. But that is beside the point. You must do a 100% water change.

This means putting your fish into an alternative container, such as a cup or tupperware container. Make sure that the cup is clean, and is in a safe place where it will not be knocked over, and put something over it so that the fish cannot jump out. Next, you need to take your tank to the sink and pour out all the water, make sure that you pour the water into a strainer or a colander if there is gravel in the tank--you don't want any of the gravel to go down the drain. Rinse the tank and everything in it with hot tap water so that you get all of the uneaten food, poop, and ammonia residue out of the tank. Then put everything back in and fill the tank up with water that is the same temperature as the old water you took the fish out of--you might want to keep a sample of the old water next to the sink. Dip your hand from the old water to the faucet, adjusting the temperature as necessary until they feel like they're the same temperature, then fill up the tank. Depending on how heavy the tank is, you might want to only fill it partially, put it back on the stand, and then use cups to fill the tank back up if it is too heavy to move. Next, add dechlorinator. Give the tank a good stir and then you can start acclimating your fish to the new water.

To acclimate your fish, float the tupperware/cup/bag that he is in in the tank. Every few minutes, pour out some of the water from his container, and let in some of the new water. Do this very slowly and carefully--since the water he was in previously was so dirty and awful, you should acclimate him over the course of an hour.

In the future, you should keep doing water changes regularly. If the tank is one gallon, he will need a 100% change like this every other day. If it is two gallons, every two to three days; 3 gallons, four to five days; 5 gallons, once a week. Since, after this water change, the water parameters will be much more similar to any water you change the tank with in the future, you will only need to acclimate him for 15-20 minutes instead of an hour.

The fish also looks emaciated.. how much/how often and what have you been feeding him?

When you go buy your heater, look around for some pure methylene blue. Methylene blue is a very gentle chemical that will help your fish recover from ammonia poisoning and will help prevent secondary infections--it is a more effective preventative than salt. Also, when you get your heater, look for one with an adjustable temperature dial, like this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368
Mini heaters, pre-set heaters, and heater pads are poor quality products that will underheat or overheat the water based on the ambient temperature of the room. For instance, if the room is 68-72 degrees, it won't heat the water enough, and if the room is 80 degrees, it will overheat it. Adjustable heaters are a few dollars more, but the security, stability, and control they offer you is well worth the investment. I encourage you to shop online, you will get a much better price and more variety to choose from. Even with shipping added in, the prices are much more reasonable than what you will find in any retail store.

Remember, when you put your heater in, adjust the setting so that it matches the temperature of the room, and slowly adjust the heater up a degree every couple hours. This way you will avoid shocking your fish.

Please read this article when you get the chance, if you have not already: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

Last edited by Adastra; 10-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #14 
tamenie

ok then well before reading this i was all happy because i thought he would live but now that you said that iguess what i did was wrong? i will show you my new set up first

great pic of him

new setup with a heater my cousin gave me cause his wont reach the wall the cord is to short for him anyway the tempachure thing is a lower higher lol so i asked and he said its base on 75 degrees

close up of heater

and what i hoped to be his futher home

i did everything above exept kind of just dumped him back in it was warmer not the same temp thoue so i guess he is as good as dead?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #15 
Bonzo

6 1/2 yrs..is damn good. Good luck.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #16 
Fawnleaf

not necessarily, but if it doesn't kill him it will make him sick. It wouldn't be so bad if you had done regular water changes, but his gills are sick from ammonia. The clean water will shock him- killing him or making him ill. But watch him closely, he could pull through
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #17 
Fawnleaf

...also you DID treat the tap water... right?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #18 
tamenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
...also you DID treat the tap water... right?
of course and when we put him in i put some stress coat so he dident get to stressed i put a tablet of the de toxing stuff it helps his gills treats amonia and chloring and helps him stronger and stuff and makes the water livable
Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #19 
Fawnleaf

good. So how's he doing?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #20 
tamenie

last i checked he was laying under the light tower ornament i got for him from my friend just chilling still alive cause i lifted the rock he swam out he is moving alot faster than he was inside the coldd water