Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

Breeding for the space-limited

Hello! I am very hopeful for responses for it seems there are some very active users on this site.

I just recently have taken an interest to betta fish. I currently have one Crowntail male (Maynard), a Crowntail female (Dolly), a Veiltale female (Shirley) (and two Mickey Mouse Platy that are in a bowl with Dolly).

I would really like to start breeding them (I raise and breed pigs and am fascinated with genetics and breeding) but I have very limited space. I have read probably all of the guides put out there and also have a step mother who is very knowledge about about fish in general, so I do know what is not necessary for me.

What I am asking for is for some help finding the simplest way to have a successful spawning. I will probably invest in a 10 gallon tank, a few live plants, and maybe a sponge filter, but I would like to avoid hatching brine shrimp. I have read of a few alternatives but would like to know which is best. I'd also like to know if there is anything that is felt I absolutely need (for I'm a college student and don't have much money)

Thank you!

Chelsea
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Well I'm breeding in my teeny tiny bedroom...actually I'm begging my parents if I can take my bed out and sleep on the floor XD

Anyway I've stopped using glass tanks, too heavy and fragile. Now a days I'm using 4 gallon plastic tubs for spawning and 66 quart tubs for growout. I also have a 22 gallon tote (you can't see into it but you can see the little babies inside) and a 30 gallon tote (same thing except grey). I can't fit the lid on the 30 so I've stopped using it. Anyway breeding isn't something to be taken lightly...hundreds of fish are born and need to be raised. You need foods like infusoria, baby brine shrimp (sorry but it's neccesary, it's extrmemely nutritous), microworms, vinegar eels...etc. Also if you want your fish to grow...massive daily water changes. I change at least 15 gallons a day on several plastic tubs. Not to mention all the jars you need. Heaters will run you about $25 per heater and you need plenty of them. Also add another $30 for a good breeding pair. You can spend a little more for a brother and sister pair from Thailand (if you can get one...I rarely see them) or one from the states.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #3 
ChelseaK

So, are my fish probably not going to breed because they are not related?

I have considered just using tubs but my friend may have a tank.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #4 
purplemuffin

They will breed, but brothers and sisters will spawn the most fry that look like the parents--Unrelated means you could get random colors and tail types--you won't know what you're getting really! If you have a line in mind, siblings help you get what you want faster! Though the same could be done with two unrelated, then breeding back to one of the parents, etc. Just would take more generations! And of course eventually you'll need new blood in there, but bettas aren't quite like mammals when it comes to inbreeding! :o
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #5 
ChelseaK

Thanks!
Yeah, I really would like to breed my two crowntails, Dolly is pale with red fins and Maynard is Blue with red fins. I think they would be pretty. But we'll see!

I'm wondering if I can grow the fry in the same tank/tub that they are spawned in? Obviously I will need to start separating them at one point, but some places I've read that I have to put them in a different tub right away?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you use a 10g tank to breed, you don't have to move the fry. In fact if you don't do 100% water changes or do not disturb the fry, you can probably keep them there for at least 2 months. Some may stay peaceful until 4 months or longer.

But as MV said, you need alternative food, preferably live food. With live plants you can culture infusoria as a "first food supply" but you still need other live food.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

I'll second the suggestion that you find another pair. Crowntails are extremely hard to work with and you need pristine water conditions to get straight rays. Also pet store fish will be very hard to rehome and red/blue combos are even harder because its so common.

But if your committed here is how I'm breeding in my dorm. I use plastic tubs that are about 5 gallons filled to the top, with a 50 w heater and java moss. I'm feeding hikari frozen bbs and supplementing with live micro worms. My spawn is small so the bbs aren't that expensive but for a large spawn it would be much cheaper to do live bbs or micro worms. Since I only have 15 fry i'll be skipping the growout tank and jarring early.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Well I'm breeding in my teeny tiny bedroom...actually I'm begging my parents if I can take my bed out and sleep on the floor XD

Anyway I've stopped using glass tanks, too heavy and fragile. Now a days I'm using 4 gallon plastic tubs for spawning and 66 quart tubs for growout. I also have a 22 gallon tote (you can't see into it but you can see the little babies inside) and a 30 gallon tote (same thing except grey). I can't fit the lid on the 30 so I've stopped using it. Anyway breeding isn't something to be taken lightly...hundreds of fish are born and need to be raised. You need foods like infusoria, baby brine shrimp (sorry but it's neccesary, it's extrmemely nutritous), microworms, vinegar eels...etc. Also if you want your fish to grow...massive daily water changes. I change at least 15 gallons a day on several plastic tubs. Not to mention all the jars you need. Heaters will run you about $25 per heater and you need plenty of them. Also add another $30 for a good breeding pair. You can spend a little more for a brother and sister pair from Thailand (if you can get one...I rarely see them) or one from the states.

You'll probably end up moving the bed out, putting tanks where the bed was and sleeping on the couch. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote