Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #1 
Waterbottle2

brown lines on tail/lethargic

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g (divided so he has 5g or room)
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no but has live plants
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? had a few shrimp but they got to the other side of the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? new life spectrm
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly 50%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?attisons betta spa

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I just noticed brown lines on the tail... could be the light hes in
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hes been lethargic and laying on the bottom more than he usually does
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I did a 50% water change
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea

Also his 10g tank is divided with another betta on the other side he's got PLENTY of hiding places and live plants
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #2 
Adastra

Any way you could post a picture? Right now I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be--if he's acting sick, I would quarantine him in a separate container so that the fish on the other side of the divider does not catch it, in case it is a viral or bacterial infection. Rubbermaid/Sterilite plastic storage bins make excellent hospital tanks, and they're only about $3 at wal mart or target.

Is there any way you could have your water tested? Many pet stores will do it for free if you take in a sample of your water. Have you seen the fish poop lately? Abnormal feces can be a sign of internal parasites, so try to make note of it if you see any. How is his appetite? Are the brown areas different in texture from the rest of his body in any way?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 
Waterbottle2

I already have a hospital tank but he seems to have perked up. I'm gonna do another water change. He was being really 'lazy' yesterday and the streaks look kind of red just on the ends of his tail. His appetite is fine maybe I just saw him when he was tired? Not sure really but now he's very active I'll try to post pics I'm gonna go do another water change right now
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #4 
Waterbottle2

I think the lines on his tail just look that way in certain lighting

edit: I just fed him and he still has an appetite and will come up. I'm not sure if he's just become lazy or was sleeping
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #5 
Adastra

It's possible he's just going through a color change--the brown streaks may color up to red later. It's good to hear that he's eating. Keep us updated!
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #6 
Waterbottle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
It's possible he's just going through a color change--the brown streaks may color up to red later. It's good to hear that he's eating. Keep us updated!

Update: Yeah he's doing fine now acting normal I think you might be right or it was the angle/light. But he's at 100% right now. Maybe he was just really tired that day or something?

Thanks