Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #11 
bettablue

well his fins are dark red at the edges and ive never actually seen him biting his tail.... heres a picture to help

Even his swimming fins are ripped, how could he bite those? and also ive noticed that the part at the bottom of his gill is enlarged? do you know what that might be?
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #12 
small fry

It sounds to me like your betta does not have fin rot, but I could not access your pictures. In fin rot, generally the fins are somewhat transparent around the edges. You could try checking your ammonia because ammonia and stress can result in the fins having a ripped appearance.

Has your betta shown any behavoral changes lately? Sometimes bettas will show their gils when they are frightened or want to appear bigger, but in normal cases it shouldn't last more than 20 minutes. Have you added any reflective objects to your tank recently that might cause your betta to appear bigger?

I am not sure what would cause the gils to remain enlarged. Perhaps someone else can offer advice.

Hope this helps...
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #13 
bettablue

well actually it's the opposite, my betta hasn't shown any gills for a while, i even showed him a mirror but he didn't do anything and usually he does do something... for the ammonia i bought a tester and it said my ammonia was in between 0-.25 so i think that's okay??
how come u could access the pics? is it something i did or is it ur computer?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #14 
small fry

It sounds like your betta's gill is back to normal. That's good. I'm sorry I couldn't get your pics. A message says that they had been removed or deleted. How is your betta fins? My betta Tony had ripped fins for a while, but they healed. Your betta's fins should heal after a while.

About your Ammonia. With ammonia 0ppm is aways the best, but .25ppm could be easily elimanated with a few, small water changes. Do you have a filter yet? That will also help with ammonia.

Do you have an aquarium thermometer? They cost less than $2 at my local walmart and other walmarts I have seen. That is a good way to moniter the tempreture (preferably 75 - 80 degrees). Your heater probably keeps your aquarium at a stable tempreture when it is cold, but when it isn't cold it is a good thing to know what the tempreture is.

You will need to keep an eye on your ammonia levels over the next month or so. The first month (more or less) after you establish a filtered tank, your toxicity will rise, peak, and then drop. I don't have any good links, but read up on the nitrogen cycle (I think I spelled it right), it helped me alot. Hope this helps!

===============-
10gal GatorSwamp
10gal CichlidRock
1.5gal BuriedTreasure
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #15 
bettablue

yea srry i moved the files so they didn't appear... here they are

I got an air pump today and i set it on low... my betta seems to like the extra water movement
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #16 
small fry

Talking

So how is your betta doing now? Has his fins stopped ripping? Is he looking happier?

He is a beuatiful fish. Just saw the pictures. I guess I didn't get email notification when you posted?

It looks like maybe his fins are staring to heal (although I never saw the first set of pictures).
Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #17 
bettablue

well the medicine I'm giving him seems to be working and his fins are growing and are less red and clamped. These pictures are the first pics I just reloaded them. The medicine says to treat for a week but I think I should keep going for an extra week to make sure he gets completely better becuz he still has some red.