Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #1 
Cutar

What to put in 2.5 gallon with betta

Can I put anything in it with the betta. I have this one

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=44&ty=49

I was wondering if I could put a snail in it or something. I have an inca snail in my 10 gallon that I could put in there. Or could I put in a ghost shrimp or would that be too much of a bioload.
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Provided that you make the needed water changes either the shrimp or snail would be fine, however, sometimes the Betta will not tolerate them so have a back up plan.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 
Cutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Provided that you make the needed water changes either the shrimp or snail would be fine, however, sometimes the Betta will not tolerate them so have a back up plan.

Is 15% a week ok for that tank? And if the betta doesnt like it I can just put it in either my 5 gallo or my 10 gallon
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #4 
Jupiter

I personally wouldn't put anythng in that tank, 2.5 G is perfect for just one betta.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #5 
SilverCaracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutar View Post
Is 15% a week ok for that tank? And if the betta doesnt like it I can just put it in either my 5 gallo or my 10 gallon
It depends if your tank is cycled or not. Uncycled 2.5 gallon tanks need 20% water changes daily and a 100% water change every week. This is what I do...some one tell me if I'm not doing enough water changes.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #6 
folion

Hey guys
I have a 2 gallon tank with
1 male fiddle crab and a female fiddle crab
2 pond snails
and my beta
I change the water once a month. But I have a filter for this tank that are designed for smaller tanks. It is called Penn-Plax Small world pump and filter.
folion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by folion View Post
Hey guys
I have a 2 gallon tank with
1 male fiddle crab and a female fiddle crab
2 pond snails
and my beta
I change the water once a month. But I have a filter for this tank that are designed for smaller tanks. It is called Penn-Plax Small world pump and filter.
Okay...there are several things wrong with that! Though I'm not very knowledgable about fiddler crabs, but here are some thing I do know.

1. Fiddler crabs require brackish water and access to land.
2. 2 fiddler crabs will need a bigger tank than 2 gallons.
3. While I'm not sure about whether or not they're aggressive, I would personally not keep anything with big claws with my betta.
4. Your tank is very overstocked. 2 gallons is sufficient for one betta, and one betta only.
4. You should be changing your water weekly! Even with a filter, water needs to be regularly cleaned.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #8 
folion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Okay...there are several things wrong with that! Though I'm not very knowledgable about fiddler crabs, but here are some thing I do know.

1. Fiddler crabs require brackish water and access to land.
2. 2 fiddler crabs will need a bigger tank than 2 gallons.
3. While I'm not sure about whether or not they're aggressive, I would personally not keep anything with big claws with my betta.
4. Your tank is very overstocked. 2 gallons is sufficient for one betta, and one betta only.
4. You should be changing your water weekly! Even with a filter, water needs to be regularly cleaned.
I just add the crabs on Monday and they seem to be doing fine. But after your post i did a little looking into the crabs and found out that your absolutely right about the crabs. The need some land to get in and out of the water and the water it self needs to be slightly salty. So now I am a little worried because I have grown to love this craps. And I am a little ticked at the pet store because they told be that they would be totally fine in my setup.
P.S i just found this web site to day and i am starting to find out that there are a lot of things the pet shop lied to me about. It is a miracle that my beta is still alive right now.

Last edited by folion; 10-24-2010 at 12:38 AM.
folion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #9 
CjRager89

Quote:
Originally Posted by folion View Post
i just found this web site to day and i am starting to find out that there are a lot of things the pet shop lied to me about. It is a miracle that my beta is still alive right now.
Well if you have any questions we will try to do our best to help you out. Thats why we're here :)
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Well, everyone makes mistakes at first. If you have any questions, come to us, not the petstores! We'll be happy to help.