Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #1 
BeFree

Post Baffle not working?

The filter I'm using in Poseidon's new 5 gallon tank is too strong, so I attempted to baffle it. I used the instructions I found here to make a baffle out of a water bottle, but the there is still a current.

Is there anything I might be doing wrong? Also, are there alternative baffle options?

I can take a video/pictures if necessary.
BeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Since a member here once lost a curious betta to the bottle baffle (swam inside then couldn't get out), I don't really recommend them myself.

I MUCH prefer the aquarium sponge/foam baffle - it's adjustable (pull it up for more flow or down for less), it's safe and it's one more place for the good bacteria to grow. Just rubber band it on & you're done!

Here is a pic to show you what I am talking about:
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #3 
BeFree

Lion Mom- Thank you so much for the suggestion/picture. I hadn't realized it before, but I can see now that there is a definite possibility Poseidon could swim into the bottle and get stuck. I'll be going right now to pick up a sponge. Again, thank you.

Just a cheap kitchen sponge will work? (without detergent/scrubber of course)
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #4 
Cutar

Here is what I do that works great...you get a thick sock and rubber band it across the front if you dont have a sponge
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeFree View Post
Lion Mom- Thank you so much for the suggestion/picture. I hadn't realized it before, but I can see now that there is a definite possibility Poseidon could swim into the bottle and get stuck. I'll be going right now to pick up a sponge. Again, thank you.

Just a cheap kitchen sponge will work? (without detergent/scrubber of course)
I'm not one to use kitchen sponges - some have with success, but others not so much. If you can't get an aquarium sponge/foam (AquaClear or Imagine are two brand names), I would go with the thick sock as suggested or even a bunch of gauze or cheesecloth folded up & rubber banded in place.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 
Alex09

You can get and aquaclear sponge from most chain petstores for around $2.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 
BeFree

Ok, sounds good. I'll use a sock temporarily until I can drive out to the pet store. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! All advice is much appreciated.

Tags
baffle