Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 
metalbetta

Question 5 Yr Old Cousin Wants Fish...

Yeah.
My grandma texted me this morning asking me what would be a low maintenance fish to get for my cousin for when he visits.

As we all know here... a low maintenance fish doesn't exist.

ANYWAY... She's got a 10 gallon... or 20 gallon... she's not sure (we spoke over the phone, haven't seen it) w/ an under gravel filter and power filter and she's wondering what to put into it... She'll be the one doing all the care and whatnot.

I'm only experienced with bettas and goldies so those were my first suggestions, but she wants to do guppies and neon tetras.
No idea how that would work out, so if anyone has any suggestions that would rock. thaaaank you.

--we're going to the store tomorrow to get fish/plants/whatnot so yeah.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #2 
JKfish

I've had guppies and harlequins together, and am imagining neons wouldn't be too much different from harlequins. 6 neons or more... I liked my guppies, but they didn't like me nor my water apparently. Oh, try to get the guppies from the same tank... there were some really odd things going on when I introduced two new guppies into a tank with one guppy who'd been there for a few days (lol, guppy flares), and the little guy who'd been there longer harassed the others badly for a while .

Last edited by JKfish; 10-22-2010 at 09:27 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

Guppies are super easy. Make sure she ONLY GETS MALES. Females are always pregnant when you buy them and can have up to 40 babies. Plus the females store sperm in their bodies so continue to give brith even after not being with a male. Plus the males are way prettier. 7 males would be good in a 10 gallon. May be a little pecking around in the beginning but their great little fish. I wouldn't add neons unless it is a 20 gal, since the tetras may nip the tails of the male guppies.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #4 
metalbetta

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I guess she wants to wait til later in the week to do this since the game's on. OH college football. At least we're winning.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote