Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #1 
BettaLover1313

S.I.P. Merlin

I had to euthanize my companion of a year and three months, Merlin. I'm still not sure what happened, but within about three days, his condition had become so bad to the point that he could barely swim, was breathing heavily, and, to top it of, was staring to pinecone. He had little to no interest in his food, and no strength to get it even if he had wanted it. It wasn't an easy decision, and my heart broke (and is still breaking) at the loss of my dear little friend.

You were not what I intended to come back to my college dorm with that day. You were much better than my planned cactus though!

Named for your glare reminiscent of Merlin's from the BBC Merlin to Arthur, you quickly took me out of a dark place that I had been in since the passing of my dog, Herbie. You made me and many others smile at your antics and your grumpiness, yet you had your tender side too.

I thought I'd share some pictures of him, since he was such a great companion:

You didn't care that I barely knew anything about bettas, having only had one two years back for about a month. You were just happy to be out of that Wal-Mart cup.

You were a personable little fish, and you were always up for a good photo shoot.

You always came up to greet people, even if they were strangers (and needed a good flare at).

We never could get your tail to not look ragged, but it sure added to your character

You were such a serious fish, yet you did the silliest of things sometimes (and the most memorable).

You had two different neighbors, one of whom I'm sure you were pleased to meet again in your passing (S.I.P. Dragoon).

Most of all, you were my dear friend.

S.I.P. Merlin, I finally got that cactus. Though your spirit is gone, your body will nourish it and help it to grow, and I will always think of you whenever I look at it or take care of it.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #2 
EvaJupiterSkies

Merlin, you were a good fish, you made me giggle reading about you, and I hope you and Dragoon are catching up now. SIP. <3

-leaves a small virtual plate of comfort cookies for you, BL-
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #3 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJupiterSkies View Post
Merlin, you were a good fish, you made me giggle reading about you, and I hope you and Dragoon are catching up now. SIP. <3

-leaves a small virtual plate of comfort cookies for you, BL-
Thank you, EvaJupiterSkies. I'm glad his antics could make you smile :)
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #4 
Indigo Betta

I'm really sad to hear Merlin's passed away At least you gave him a good life. SIP little fishy.....
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #5 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Betta View Post
I'm really sad to hear Merlin's passed away At least you gave him a good life. SIP little fishy.....
Thank you.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #6 
sweetsura

I'm sorry to hear about Merlin's passing. I will light a candle for him so that he has light to see on his way to summerland. Also, I am a HUGE fan of the TV show Merlin, (I watch it repeatedly on Netflix) and will watch the last few episodes with him in mind :) S.I.P beautiful little fish.
sweetsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #7 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsura View Post
I'm sorry to hear about Merlin's passing. I will light a candle for him so that he has light to see on his way to summerland. Also, I am a HUGE fan of the TV show Merlin, (I watch it repeatedly on Netflix) and will watch the last few episodes with him in mind :) S.I.P beautiful little fish.
Thank you