Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
deathstar899

Unhappy Does he have fin rot?

Hi, I have a betta who's name is Bill. Bill's fins seem torn and seem to disinegrate so is this fin rot? There is this betta medication, should I get it?
deathstar899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...we need some more information.....

How big is the tank, filtration, live plants, additives, water temp, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, how long have you had him and how is his appetite and how much and what kind of food?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #3 
deathstar899

Well, his tank used to be really dirty(I know I'm horrible) but I just cleaned it and it is really clean(his tank is super small but we cannot afford anything else really) he has new tank gravel and a new bridge statue.
deathstar899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #4 
animallover4lyfe

The best way to cure fin rot is to change his water DAILY...using aquarium salt and of course condition the water...use lurk warm water. Make sure you FLOAT him everytime you put him back into his new water for 20-30 mins. Its very important that his water changes are daily, until you notice he is getting better. Most of the time fin rot has like blood looking tips at the end of their fins. Treat him daily and he will be cured in no time.
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #5 
animallover4lyfe

Also, if you have any plastic plants or ornaments in there, that can result in his torn fins as well.
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstar899 View Post
Well, his tank used to be really dirty(I know I'm horrible) but I just cleaned it and it is really clean(his tank is super small but we cannot afford anything else really) he has new tank gravel and a new bridge statue.
No worries....we will just need to make what you have work.....
And as posted...water changes and lot of them on a regular basis....fresh dechlorinated water is the best medication you can use with fish
For a 10 day salt treatment-use aquarium salt or kosher salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 day-you should see healing/re-growth in the fins within 3-4 days-it can take month for the fin to re-grow 100%

Pre-mix the salt in a 1gal jug to make water changes and correct dosage easier
Water temp is also very important-try and keep it in the 76-77F range and he should do fine
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fin, rot