Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #11 
sayspence

Unhappy

Fins seem fine. He moves around well but usually if he thinks he is going to be fed. Seems as though he flares the majority of the time ...I assume b/c he is stressed. This is not his regular tank. Just kept him in something so it would be easy to do 100 percent water changes. It is easy for me to see in this smaller area he is pooping and it appears mostly clear although some strands have a slight brownsh color. He has been in the Epsom salt 1 day. He does not look any less bloated. Does not appear to have difficulty swimming.
sayspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #12 
Adastra

It's possible that he has an internal parasite infestation--whitish or otherwise abnormal, stringy poop is a pretty strong indication of intestinal worms. If he is still eating, you should purchase an antiparasitic medicated food with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole. Jungle brand makes an antiparasite food that is quite effective--if he loses his appetite or refuses to eat the medicated food, look for a dissolving tablet with said ingredients. Most fish with internal parasites respond very well to treatment and the medication doesn't seem to have any ill effects.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

He needs more time in the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal- it can take 2-3 days depending on the root cause. He could have a plug in the duct and the duct could be inflamed as well due to the plug and pressure and this can take longer to get relieved.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #14 
sayspence

Got a heater. Put him back in his bigger tank and plan on just changing the water daily. So, is it better for him to want to be on top all of the time or sitting at the bottom? I know moving around is best but of the other two...which is the lesser evil? I will have to say that I never expected to be attached to a fish or feel so much concern but I truly believe it is stemmed from this website. See ing everyones commitment and passion has truly inspired me. These are very beautiful and interesting creatures and I hope Pablo pulls through. I will try the antiparasitic meds. I will keep you posted. I plan on keeping him in the Epsom salt for a total of 10 days from what I have read on the other posts. Also...a pea as a laxative? A regular pea. Peeled? I tried and it just sak to the bottom.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Make sure you are using enough of the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal to do any good-he needs to be in the Epsom salt water 24/7- it also will work as a laxative and hold all food for now...resist temptation to feed him until you see him poop and then only feed very small amount every other day during treatment.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #16 
kfish

With regard to the pea - you would want to thaw it, peel it, and feed him only a small portion of it (1/4 or less).

HOWEVER, while some people swear by feeding their bettas peas, others say it causes organ failure, since Betta aren't meant to digest vegetables. From what I've seen on this forum, most people here would not feed a pea to their Betta. With that having been said, you may want to skip the pea.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #17 
gnarly

newby halfmoon male owner...sasquatch not eating much but seems happy....should I be worried?... his picture is my avitar
gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #18 
Colibri

If the fish is new, then it's normal because it'll take him some time to adjust to his new environment. If he's not eating well... perhaps you should start a new topic and give more detail about his housing and everything.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #19 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarly View Post
newby halfmoon male owner...sasquatch not eating much but seems happy....should I be worried?... his picture is my avitar
Your fish is beautiful! I LOVE those colors!

I wouldn't worry yet. He could always just be picky, too. :) Make sure you're keeping up with water changes!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #20 
sayspence

Pablo is still not any better. Changing water everyday,using heater and Epsom salt. Now is seem s like I see some white/clear cottony looking stuff coming off of him but then it goes away...from other posts possibly slime coat from the salt? I fed him a pellet to see if he would eat but he did not. Still extremely bloated. Sad : (