Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #1 
bettaparent123

Brand new betta parent!

Hello, just got a pair of lovely female betta yesterday! Going into it we never had betta before and I've only owned fish once. But fish were a nice break from puppies and kittens, who always seemed to require more time than we could spare and health problems we didn't have the finances for. So going into it I had to do a bit of research and make sure we could give the time/energy.

Well, we got our two females at Petsmart yesterday. Melanie is blue and Lindsey is red/pink (if you watched Queer as folk you'll get the name reference!). The Petsmart fish person told us females would be fine together - which was totally WRONG but I don't blame him, I should have read we would need more than 2. Anyway, we got them a medium sized tank and used bottled water (read tap water is bad for them).

Within 30 minutes Melanie, who is much bigger than Lindsey, started chasing her around and poking her, and Lindsey was pooping and flying around, an indication she didn't like it. So I did more research - turns out Melanie was asserting her dominance. I didn't realize ALL betta were so aggressive, not just males.

Anyway, I got Lindsey her own bowl today and got her settled and she's doing fine. Poor girl! She has been through a lot the last 2 days but she is a little fighter. She's already my favorite. She will swim up to me when I feed her and loves to watch what's going on from the kitchen counter. I can't believe I'm attached to this tiny little life form! She is not shy at all, whereas Melanie is a little more reserved.

But just knowing that they came from a tiny cup sitting on a shelf in Petsmart, and now they have their own space and are being cared for - that's what it's all about. I just want to give them a comfortable life.

But being that I'm a new parent I still have lots of questions and doubts and fears, and I'm sure I will make mistakes, so that's why I'm here. To learn and see other parents who are really passionate about their fish.

And thank you for reading and having this helpful info in the first place.

Last edited by bettaparent123; 08-18-2014 at 07:53 PM.
bettaparent123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #2 
SeaKnight

Welcome to the neighborhood: Feel free to browse around, plenty of information for the taking.. Personally, I suggest you take a look here and here.. These two links will help explain the basics... Good luck and hope to "see" you around..
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 AM   #3 
Pippin

Good luck! And if you need help not buying any more bettas, don't come on here anymore. And pictures of your bettas would be great!
Pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #4 
hrutan

LOL, Pippin. We are enablers...
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote