Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Betta flakes and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 flakes a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20% daily and 100% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Bettabowl Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Rays melting
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acts the same
When did you start noticing the symptoms? few months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have tried AQ and oak leaves. None right now
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? One year?

It's been like this for a while. Nothing stops Ares' rays from melting. If it keeps up, he won't be able to swim eventually :( I will be testing the water soon. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #2 
Adastra

Wow, he looks really sick. This isn't a fin issue, there's something else systemic that's going on that's affecting him. Crowntail rays are a good indication of their general health--typically if they're thin and brittle there's something amiss--you want them to be fat and flowing.

The first thing I would do would be to get him on a de-wormer like Jungle's Parasite Clear. Given the fact that he looks so thin (he has so little body mass!) with a distended-looking belly is a strong indication that he has a parasite load. He definitely does not look healthy. You may want to get your water tested to make sure your water changing routine is really keeping up with his ammonia output. I would also switch to a higher quality food--frozen blood worms (instead of freeze-dried) and/or live blackworms, for instance, to give him a shot of protein and much-needed calories. Brine shrimp and daphnia are mostly fiber, so while he would definitely benefit from the nutrients they have to offer, blood worms and black worms will provide him with more calories. You should also consider switching to a high quality pellet food, like Atison's, OmegaOne, or New Life Spectrum. If you insist on continuing to feed him flakes, soak them in a little bit of water first and give him more than you're giving him now, because it's obviously not enough.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-25-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #3 
SilverCaracal

Would Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes and Omega One Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp be good? I don't think they sell Omega One pellets. I'll try to save up for the parasite clear, but I'll be sure to pick up some better food and get his water tested soon. So what he’s lacking is nutrients and he possibly has parasites am I right? Once he has enough nutrients, will his rays get stronger?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #4 
Adastra

Once he starts feeling better his fins should get thicker and less transparent, his body should fill out and regain color, and he should be more active. I would get him on a dewormer as soon as you can and get frozen blood worms instead of freeze dried. See what pellets are available at your pet store--many Petco/smarts at least have Atison's if nothing else. You might have to ask an employee to help you find it. You could always call ahead to make sure they have the medication/brand of food you want to save you an unnecessary trip, and to help you figure out which stores have the products you need.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #5 
SilverCaracal

Ok. I checked Petsmart.com and I could only find freeze dried brine shrimp...is there such thing as frozen brine shrimp? If there is, I couldn't find any. What brand of frozen blood worms do you recommend? Also, there isn't any Atison's or New Life Spectrum's pellets...only Omega One Betta Buffet flakes. Sorry I'm being such a bother, but I don't really know what foods are good.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Have you tried keeping him without a filter-sometimes the filter is the problem-the water flow can sometimes be too strong even with baffles especially with CT and HM-also the gravel look to be big-sometimes larger pebbles can snag fins....just tossing in more ideas and thoughts......

Some CT's not all, can sometimes be sensitive to hard water and it will cause the rays to drop-using rainwater or R/O water along with added mineral can help..do you know your pH/KH/GH of the source water after degassing?

A good varied diet is always a good idea to help tissue re-growth/generation-have you tried any live foods?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #7 
Adastra

When you go to the Petco/smart, you should see a small freezer in the fish section, usually next to the fish tanks. There will be frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, and other varieties of frozen food there. I use the hikari brand because its packaging makes it easier to use. You should try calling around to non-chain local fish stores, they may have a better selection.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #8 
SilverCaracal

I don't think it's the filter because this problem started way before I got a filter. I also used to have smaller sized gravel when I didn't have a filter and his rays were still melting. I changed the gravel because the larger rocks are easier to clean. I will test the water this weekend, but I don't have any readings right now. I don't fed him live foods, but I will change his diet. Thank you Adastra and Oldfishlady!