Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #1 
New2Betas

Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! Something is wrong with Master Bettas Fins!!!

I did my first 100% water change Saturday (6 days after I brought him home) added the chlorine out and a tbs of salt. His bowl is 4.75 gallons. His color is great! His color got even better after the water change and is as happy as can be. He was perfectly fine last night. But this morning his fins look horrible!!! The ones on the top of his body and upper part of his tail are shredded! There are also some red dots, looks like blood! What is wrong with him!?!?

New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

My Snowflake had this but it was far worse than yours. I brought him back to the family run pet store and sadly he passed, but it seems like you caught it quick enough so hopefully someone on here can help you out. I hope he gets better!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #3 
New2Betas

Wow none of the 12 of you recognized fin rot? Anyway went to the pet store and talked to someone in the fish department. She said the fit rot was because I did a 100% water change and cleaned off his rocks and it caused stress. She said to not do a 100% water change because they need the good bacteria that lives in the rocks and to next time stir up his water and gravel, and only dump 1/2. She has me buy Bettafix by API and added that to his tank. I also bought a new heater that is up to 10 gallons and it supposed to keep his tank at 78* since the little one I bought only kept it at 72*.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #4 
SilverCaracal

Fin rot isn't caused by 100% water changes just so you know. I don't really understand the point you're trying to get across. Why would you post something that you already knew about?
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #5 
Maryrox247

He is a fin biter, just like phantom and roger used to be. I would suggest just making sure his wwater is super clean in general and trying to make his tank as full of dedcor as possible chances are he is bored or if its stress than try to leave the tank alone for a while except for feeding, turning on lights and turning them off, ect. Good luck!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 
dragonfair

I don't know the parameters of your bowl: lighting, etc. but here's a quote from a senior member with info for someone who was asking the difference between fin rot and tail biting (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to link the whole thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
1) Tailbiting happens super fast
2) It just eats up the tail with no sign of other symptoms
3) If your water quality is good, it's probably biting, not rot.
4) If it looks shredded (between the rays) it's probably tailbiting.

If you have a light in the tank, keep it off for now. In all the cases of tailbiting I've seen, lighting has got to be the number 1 stressor. Also, make sure the tank is not near any TVs, stereos, etc.
Fin rot is a bacterial infection that causes the fins to deteriorate. It's caused by or worsened by poor water quality. Tail biting is behavioral. It sounds like your little guy is tail biting exactly like my doubletail did. Here's a link with more info: http://www.healthybetta.com/a-bettas...it-tail-biting

Sometimes it's frustratingly hard to figure out what's causing tail biting, but I knew the source of my betta's stress - I had him in a divided tank with another male and they didn't like it. I gave him his own tank almost a week ago. He stopped biting immediately and his fins are recovering nicely. You might have to do some detective work to figure it out, but you'll be able to get everything sorted out. If you're not sure, keep asking on here. Many betta owners have gone through what you're going through and they CAN help you.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #7 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
Fin rot isn't caused by 100% water changes just so you know. I don't really understand the point you're trying to get across. Why would you post something that you already knew about?
I am a little confused too.
And if you posted this then went to the store, it seems as though you are accusing us of not knowing what was wrong with your fish fast enough. Sorry if that is not what you intended, but it came off a little rude.
Did you show the employee these pictures, because how would you know she was right with not even seeing what was described?
Also, I have talked to many people in fish departments, and many have not known what they were talking about at all.. so I hope you are going to a trusting place and talking to someone with plenty of experience, because most of the time they don't have much.

Anywho, glad you solved your own problem then. Hope he gets better soon.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

This thread is a year old.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote