betta fish

Old 08-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #1 
Skitters

Diagnose?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? Between Around 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, sometimes dried bloodworms.
What BRAND of food do you feed it? Aqueon
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day
How MUCH do you give at each feeding? 2-3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Kordon water conditioner and a small bit of stress coat

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale, bloated, head and spine not as smoothly curved together
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active, not responding to anything, not eating.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's been kinda lazy for a few weeks, mostly napping in his little leaf hammock. Today he stopped responding and finally...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I gave him a little epsom salt about five hours ago
Does your fish have any history of being ill? A little fin rot and once he smacked his head on something
How old is your fish - OR - How long have you owned it? Had him since end of november last year.

He died sometime in the last hour or two. Any idea as to what might have happened? I... I can't take pictures yet it hurts too much to look.
Skitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #2 
Skitters

Water Parameters:
Just tested them

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 10-20
pH: 7.4 ish.
Hardness: unknown
Alkalinity: unknown
Old 08-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It sounds like constipation or dropsy. Were his scales popping out (pineconing) when viewed from above?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #4 
Skitters

They were slightly raised along his spine, but he was also thinning out I think. They never looked like they were flared out when I did get a look at him, but he never held still for long.

I don't think it was constipation, but something internal like parasites or as you suggested, Dropsy. If... I wanted to reuse his stuff in a few months, is there anything I have to do specially or is it fine?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

if it was dropsy then the scales would have been pinconing. However you said his scales were not pinconing.

I would guess either internal parasite or bacterial infection.

you will want to give everything a good cleaning - tank, heater, filter, decor, and any other fish things like gravel vac and net. I would clean everything with rubbing alcohol and then wash everything with super hot water. leave it out in the sun to dry. and wash it with hot water again.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #6 
Skitters

Alright, that was my thought as well but I'm only vaguely familiar with the symptoms.

Rubbing alcohol, hot water, dry, hot water? Alright. Thank you! What about live plants? I had a couple and I doubt they would appreciate that treatment.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #7 
VivianKJean

dropsy itself is actually a symptom. It is a symptom of organ failure or bacteria infection.

yep, that is correct.

For your plants, you will need to find a bucket to hold them in. Just fill up a bucket with conditioned water and add the plants and keep it in the sun or somewhere where they will get light. The other option is to trash them and buy new ones.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #8 
Skitters

Gotcha. Alright, thank you for your help!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Dropsy can actually present without pineconing... It's rare, but it happens. I've dealt with it. The theory is that when this happens the liver or another organ fails, rather than the kidneys (the usual cause for dropsy is kidney failure caused by bacterial infection... A bacterial infection alone doesn't cause dropsy, Vivian, it's the damage it does to the organs).

There's no point keeping the plants and sanitizing the tank... Anything you get rid of when you clean out the tank will be added right back in when you put the plants back.

Where was he bloated (behind his head or the whole body)? Was his poop normal colored?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #10 
Skitters

He was bloated behind his head, but more like he was overfed. It wasn't as bad as some I've seen for bloating, but it seemed worse since he was thinned out a bit. Before all this, his poop was normal colored and everything. I think, since I moved back to school and my dorm room, the stress might have caused a lot. He had severe stress lines down his sides and the bloating had been going on for a little while along with a bit of lethargy. It was only those last two days where he didn't eat that it became obvious he was bloating up more than his normal 'full belly'.

Well damn about the plants. Nothing I can do to sanitize them at all?