Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #31 
slimestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I think a similar setup (slightly larger compartments with more horizontal swimming room) is a step in the right direction, but I think improvements in the health of the fish need to be made before this can be successful.
Well said! This is exactly what I think. It's technically "better", but it's still not good enough, and not really excusable?
slimestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #32 
logisticsguy

If it isn't good enough what suggestions do you have for improvement? or are there better systems out there that serve this same purpose? The Elive system that many retailers spent big money on to display betta is certainly not working out very well. I have tried to get the retailer where I sell my betta to start using 1g clear plastic food containers for display.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #33 
Kim

Yeah, the Elive display is really just a fancy lighting system with an insane price tag. Not really a step in the right direction in my opinion. I think I've already posted my thoughts for a better system earlier in this thread in case you're interested in taking a look. I could build it for a reasonable price, but since stores want everything pre-made, I don't see it happening any time soon due to the plumbing involved. BUT, if we are concerned about the humane treatment of bettas, I think it's the way to go.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #34 
BettaGirl612

This would just be horrible stressful...
BettaGirl612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #35 
slimestone

logisticsguy - I actually reckon plastic food containers (granted they're big enough) would work out fine. They're not huge, but they are big enough until the fish is placed in its new home. Yes, it would mean the pet store couldn't hold as many fish at the one time, and would make less of an economic return, but again, these are living creatures, not decorations, and should be treated as such.
slimestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #36 
SiameseFightingArt

They should only sell this to pet stores to show the bettas for sale. +1 myexplodingcat
SiameseFightingArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #37 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimestone View Post
logisticsguy - I actually reckon plastic food containers (granted they're big enough) would work out fine. They're not huge, but they are big enough until the fish is placed in its new home. Yes, it would mean the pet store couldn't hold as many fish at the one time, and would make less of an economic return, but again, these are living creatures, not decorations, and should be treated as such.
Exactly, there are laws in place to protect other animals from money-hungry profit-driven companies, and it's time fish should be included in this mentality. Yes, it would reduce profits to keep bettas in better conditions, but that is no excuse for animal abuse. People would not tolerate uncared for puppies or kittens being sold in cardboard boxes filled with their own feces, and there needs to be a similar push for the ethical treatment of fish. Life should be valued over profit.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #38 
Rin68nyr

Thankfully, the LFS down the street where I get my fish keep their bettas in individual, large vases. About a half gallon each. They always seem to be clean, too.

Erin
Rin68nyr is offline   Reply With Quote