Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #31 
Reccka

Nice! I like that little yellow cave you have! One thing though, are those plastic plants? I just ask since I had one similar to that blue one and it ripped my boy's fins after he swam through it a few times. ): You might want to do the pantyhose test on it if you haven't already. In case you don't know what that is, you take some pantyhose and run it over the decorations. If it snags, it can also snag your bettas fins. Just want to be cautious! Your Nova has such a pretty tail!
Reccka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #32 
InsaneBetta001

UPDATE: He is in the tank and is exploring his surroundings and flaring at his reflection and seems to really like it!
InsaneBetta001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #33 
Aeon

Nice tank
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #34 
InsaneBetta001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Nice tank
Thanks! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reccka View Post
Nice! I like that little yellow cave you have! One thing though, are those plastic plants? I just ask since I had one similar to that blue one and it ripped my boy's fins after he swam through it a few times. ): You might want to do the pantyhose test on it if you haven't already. In case you don't know what that is, you take some pantyhose and run it over the decorations. If it snags, it can also snag your bettas fins. Just want to be cautious! Your Nova has such a pretty tail!
Thank you so much! I will test that now! He really seems to like it! The plants are plastic but are very rounded on edges and I don't think they would cut him but I will check anyways
InsaneBetta001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #35 
slimestone

I don't think "I don't have enough space" is a good excuse. If you don't have room to house a pet adequately...you don't get a pet. If I lived in an apartment but I had my heart set on a Siberian husky, I would only be doing the cruel thing by still buying one.
slimestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #36 
Reccka

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimestone View Post
I don't think "I don't have enough space" is a good excuse. If you don't have room to house a pet adequately...you don't get a pet. If I lived in an apartment but I had my heart set on a Siberian husky, I would only be doing the cruel thing by still buying one.
I think that works in this case. It's not like they were saying "If you don't have room, the pet store cup is fine."

I consider "adequately" housed to be if the betta is not bored and is healthy. What else could you honestly provide them besides health and entertainment? A 2.5 gallon provides that just fine. I think people project their own feelings about the size of the tank onto their fish a little too much sometimes. Bettas are smart, but it's not like they swim around all day thinking of that big huge 20 gallon tank they don't have.

Sorry if that was a bit snippy, but it's honestly a little tiring to see places on the internet say you're treating your pet cruelly by having a 2.5 gallon. My HM boy is healthy and shows all the signs I know of that a well-adjusted betta does and I have no doubt that my VT boy will soon follow this when he recovers from typical pet store trauma. So I don't see what's cruel about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBetta001 View Post
Thanks! :)

Thank you so much! I will test that now! He really seems to like it! The plants are plastic but are very rounded on edges and I don't think they would cut him but I will check anyways
The edges on mine were rounded too, but it still snagged him, so just keep an eye on it! Good luck! I hope Nova does well in his new home.
Reccka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:38 AM   #37 
slimestone

Reccka - oh no, I don't personally think 2.5G is too small, but it really irks me when people say "oh, I just haven't got enough room" or "I don't have enough money" to justify the way they keep their animals. It should be no surprise that with animals come certain costs, and space will always be a factor (although I'm a bit of a hypocrite in this regard as I don't have enough money to buy everything my fish needs this very instance, but I also did not buy him, he was given - dumped - on me :/).

I mean, at least try to improve conditions, if you know/feel they should be improved. Like some people have said on this thread, there are creative ways to increase space in your house/apartment.

Again, I'm not criticising anyone's tank size on this thread, I'm just tired of hearing the space excuse x_x
slimestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #38 
Betaphototramp

very good choice. Nova will love it. and you can cycle the tank with fish in with no problem. if you need a heater (because these kits don't come with one.) a 25 watt adjustable will be the best for this size tank. I recommend a 25 watt adjustable because can set the temp to 78degrees and know it will stay there. I use a Marineland visi-therm deluxe 25 watt and have had no problems with the settings going off scale. Most adjustable heaters will give you a +1 or -1 degree difference.
Make sure you do water changes and test your water each day for the next 3-4 weeks water changes will be reduced each week until the tank cycles and bacteria builds up but the water will still need to be changed in this process. recommend 25% daily and 50% once a week for the first 3 weeks and than 30-35% each week after that. your ammonia readings will spike in a few days and that is normal just remember betta alone in this sze tank will give a low bio load. your readings you will notice will spike at different times (normal) When the tank is completely cycled your readings will show 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite, and 2-5 ppm nitrate. at this time all three of your filter processes will have taken place and working your bio filter giving off good bacteria for the 2-5 ppm nitrate reading and all other readings being 0 ppm will tell you the tank has cycled, and is healthy Your PH should be between 6.8-7.6 . PH for betta is important but not overly so. Betta will get use to the PH and do just fine. (difference in PH being a must for other fish and plants is because betta are air breathers.)
It's a great looking tank and I know you will enjoy the happiness your Nova gets from a great home.
Betaphototramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #39 
galaxythebetta

I'd say one gallon is about the lowest amount of water you can go with. I am mostly a beginner, but that seems to be what most people say. It does also depend on personal preference, however.
galaxythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #40 
VivianKJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxythebetta View Post
I'd say one gallon is about the lowest amount of water you can go with. I am mostly a beginner, but that seems to be what most people say. It does also depend on personal preference, however.
actually most people say no less that 2.5 gallons.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote