Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #1 
Animal Lover37

help!! I don't know what they're doing!

Ok so heres what happened. I have two breeding tanks in one I have a pair of crowtails and the other a have a dt male with a vt female.

In my ct tank he is going crazy!! He is obsessed with his female (who is in a jar) the moment I put her in he is just non stop flaring at her! And she back to him she flares back she swims towrds him and even bows a little to him. Perfect time for breeding right? Think agaib the only problem is that he doesn't have a bubble nest yet and it been three days!. I released her yesterday hoping that he would build it if she were loose so he could squeeze her but he didnt so I put her back. I mean even when she was loose she would swim right up to him and he would turn sidesways as if to do the embrace and she would look at him then swim away as if saying "nope sorry you cant have my babies till you get a house!" So hopefully he starts building by tomorrow so that I can release her again.

Now for my other tank my male is just so lazy. Like he swims up to the female in the jar and he just looks at her and follows her like my ct does with his female but the big difference is that my dt isnt flaring at all! He just goes and looks at her and follows her and gets into the ppstition as if he wants to flare but is just too lazy. He at least is making meager attempts at making a nest but they don't last for hell make one in the plants and try a little one under the almond leaf and since hes not putting much effort in the vt female is not stimulated at all so she has no eggs and desire to bow down to him.

How can I make these spawns happen?!! Any advice and or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Animal Lover37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #2 
kevinap2

Two questions about the CT tank- what's the filter current like and do you have a shelter for him with which to build the nest?

The other one may not happen. It definitely sounds like neither fish is feelin' it right now... and frankly, I'm not sure how much you want two spawns going simultaneously anyway (especially one with VTs).
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #3 
Animal Lover37

In the ct tank there isnt really much of a current I mean I have two peice of almond leaves in there and they dont really move. I have one whole one and I just added a smaller peice in case he wanted to be picky about where he wanted to make his nest. Should I add something other than almond leaves?

As for my other tank ya I went ahead and pulled them out they were on their last day of trying and I had the two spawns stagard hoping that that maybe I would have like two different timed spawns but ya you have a point cause I cant control when they decide to spawn. I do have homes lined up either way in case of anything
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #4 
kevinap2

You could try floating half of a styrofoam cup in there, if you have access to one. Some bettas prefer that... I think it has something to do with the humid air that tends to collect under the cup. I don't know that for sure, though.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #5 
Animal Lover37

Ya I can try that.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #6 
BettaGirl612

Maybe just separate them and then try again later
BettaGirl612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #7 
Animal Lover37

So I removed the female and did water changes all around but left my male in the big tank with an almond leaf and a foam cup ir at least a peice of it. Now my only worry is that my fenale dies have eggs and I dont want her to become egg bound. Thats how i lost my last two females :/
Old 08-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry, but your pair doesn't sound ready. When both are in the breeding tank they should play "follow the leader". Either one may take the lead . . . until the male decides to bite her which sends her running only to later return and everything starts over. They will do this until the female is too tired to "play" she will mostly hide and approach the male once in a while. But male may drive her away since he isn't ready to spawn. . . . virgin pairs may take 3-7 days to spawn while veteran females only need about 24 hours or less.

If flared at and a male holds his position (to his side), a bit curved towards his opponent, he is in fighting mode. Same goes for females. . . . your female showing "head down" when in the jar, isn't actually head down, but her trying to break through. Head down position is only shown when female is ready to spawn/embrace - not during courtship. And by that time female will no longer flare like crazy.

I suggest re-do everything to both pairs. Just keep flaring them daily for about 15-30 minutes. If you have other males, you can flare him for a hour or more (or use a mirror) . . . make him feel he is fighting. This should get him in the mood faster. DO NOT flare male to female for too long. You don't want the female to stress. For long periods, flare male to male and female to female (or use mirror).

When both are flirt swimming - flaring and swimming all over the tank in an "S" style, you'll know they are ready to be bred. . . . with or without bubble nests.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #9 
Animal Lover37

That helps soooo much better when it comes describbing their behavior. so when you say let the males flare at the female for about 15-30 min does that mean im taking the female in and out of the breeding tank?

And if they dont have nests but are in the breeding mood then what happens? I release the female and he will build a nest along the way or what?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

No. I mean putting their tanks next to each other and divided by cardboard or something non see through. Then after feeding, lift the cardboard and let them see each other.

Some males are diligent nest builders while others are just plain too lazy. I never rely on nest, nor do I rely on breeding bars for that matter. I rely on body language - flirt swimming. If both are flirt swimming, it should be safe to release the female, even though the male hasn't built his nest. If he is a nest builder, he will build one during the courtship period. But if he doesn't, don't worry. Fry will survive with or without nests if cared for by the male.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote