Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #1 
colorfulfishies

preserve dead fish?

so my betta fish just died....my mom put hot water and killled it.but like everyone says its just a fish..........

is there anyway to preserve it?heres one of the answers i got on yahoo answers:
Yes ! very easy. First put it in vinegar for 24 hours. then remove the vinegar, put it on a piece of paper (donc worry if it smells or looks weird) then cover the fish with salt and leave it for 30 minutes. Then you can safely microwave the fish for one minute (it won't burn and it will NOT blow up) at full power. Finally freeze it for 24 to 48 hours maximum in the freezer. Then your beta will be perfectly preserve your beta in a box, no need for any liquid, will look beautiful for years and years, just don't play with it too much !
colorfulfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Umm, I don't think that would work, and I personally think it would be a bit weird.... But if you want to try it, have at it???

Sorry, to me it would be like having my dog get hit by a car, then stuffing him and sitting him in my living room

But hey, if you want to keep him, I guess you could try it?? I've never heard of fish being able to be preserved before. I did watch a tv show about taxidermists and they said on there that they couldn't preserve people's prize catch fish that they caught and they had to create replicas.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 
kfish

That doesn't sound very promising.... I'm pretty sure it WOULD blow up! Lol. I also don't understand the point of microwaving it or freezing it after all that. You'd be better off vinegaring and salting it then dunking it in clear epoxy or something.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I'm dying to know why you would want to preserve your dead fish. o.O" What, are you going to hang it on your wall or something? @.@ Good luck with it though...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #5 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I'm dying to know why you would want to preserve your dead fish. o.O" What, are you going to hang it on your wall or something? @.@ Good luck with it though...
DYING to know eeehehe
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #6 
TaylorW

I think you would be better off taking a photograph to keep as a memento.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I think you would be better off taking a photograph to keep as a memento.
+1.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #8 
Bloodeath

thats actually a neat idea, but i'd want it in like a plastic casing (like you see those scorpions/spiders in the molds at every tourist trap in the world)

Too bad they decolor and get all icky when they die, or i'd definately get my prized CT male preserved when he died, (mainly so i can look back on him and smile when i have bred his babies, babies. and so forth)

but most likely too expensive for my book.

And to be quite honest, i would never microwave a dead fish (with the exception of like tv dinners) because for some reason that just seems like a bad idea.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #9 
kfish

You could probably also get an acrylic mold of some sort and get him encased in like a block of acrylic plastic.

This thread seems to discourage that, though, because it would probably still rot:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=126426

They say you can also dry it with desiccant gels and grains, used to dry flowers. Or just leave it out to dry somewhere non-humid.

Last edited by kfish; 10-28-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

I was gonna suggest the resin route as well but had my doubts and thoughts of decomposition! XD Maybe you could take a picture and then lay it in the acrylic as it's casting? Or glue it to the back of a thin piece of acrylic? You could also sandwich it between two layers of acrylic and make a keychain or a pendant out of the pic! =]

just my thoughts though. =]

Here are some vids and a great channel on youtube about casting (made by the company that sells the products. =] )
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote