Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #1 
aquagreen

Quick advice please - Tank dividers really ok?

So I'm about to run out and get *mutters sheepishly* a third betta...

and Petsmart is having a sale on their 10 gallon tanks. Is it really okay to use a divider so that I can keep 2 of my boys in the same tank, or am I just asking for trouble?
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #2 
tankman12

Divided tanks are great. Just get two dividers. Put them like an inch or two from each other. Just incase a betta decides to jump or gets passed one of the dividers. Also to lessen stress put a lot of plants on the divider boundary, so they only see each other a little bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #3 
kjg1029

yes I think there awsome, I have a ten split into two and im trying one split into three, so far so good, make sure there not see through and there square against the glass to prevent squeezing through. In my ten split into two I have two dividers in the middle with a 4" gap just enough for the filter\heater and to create extra fight protection ( its saved me once). Also get a few extra plants if you can forextra cover from eacother to prevent over flaring.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #4 
bluenail

Dividers are good, but you do have to make sure the bettas can't just jump over them. Having a "no-man's land" in the middle would work, or make sure that the dividers go all the way up to whatever cover you have on your tank. Make sure the bettas can't see each other.

My next tank is probably going to be divided using a DIY divider made of craft canvas that I'm going to fill with java moss, so I have a living green wall between my boys. Still probably over a year off and that one though.
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Dividers are just fine. I do recommend you make you're own, however... It's WAY cheaper and so much easier too. Store bought dividers are a pain to use as they come all curled up.

You don't need an empty section in the middle if you divide it properly... Divider needs to be flush on each side and go about three inches out of the water (or to the hood), and you'll be good.

When you divide your tank put your two original boys in, if you just introduce a new one without quarantining you risk bringing in disease.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #6 
bluenail

I want to direct you to a thread that you can find here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=447986 about what happens if the dividers aren't high enough. Be extra cautious!
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #7 
hgual22

Dividers can be safe, or a disaster. I have a divided 10gal, though its only been set up a day. I have 1 DIY divider, as well as a store bought. the DIY is craft mesh with book report spines, and I made it extra tall to prevent jumping. The store bought one is there as a back up since while its shorter, its sturdier. I havent had any issues, the boys ignore each other and its great having 2 fish but only one tank. Its also planted pretty good, and I plan to add more as well.

My friend dividd hers yesterday too and before we ran out to get the store bought dividers her fish somehow got through the DIY (It wasnt super sturdy, but still shouldnt have been easy to get over) One of her fish tore the other up badly, but both are alive. She lowered the water line to prevent jumping and now has 2 dividers, an inch apart. So if the fish gets through again, its into a gap.

Just be sure they are secure, have gravel all around the bottom and are extra high with a lower water level. I'm pretty confident in mine. They are tight and tall. They can be great!
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #8 
aquagreen

Thanks for all the great answers! I appreciate all the advice and warnings. I'm well aware of the dangers, and quarantining, and all of that, so no issues there.

The 5.5 gallon tank I bought (I wish it was bigger, but I don't have space for anything bigger, and really wanted to rescue this betta ) comes with a black "hood" that's basically a lid...so it lays flat. I plan on making a divider out of acrylic that will easily go all the way to the top, and my husband believes he has a way to safely make it opaque (basically it's a type of sticker without adhesive that just attaches with water). I KNOW that if my EE boy can see another betta in his tank--at all--he'll go wild trying to get at it, or hurt himself if I use craft mesh. Bad enough that I had to put black paper on the side of the neighboring tank so he'd stop tail biting (and hey, it worked).
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote